MSI Silently Introduces GTX 970 Gaming 4G Lite Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
329-339-349 $ seems if you can come up with 329 you should as easy come up with 349 and just get the better clocked card

now if it was like a 50+$ savings well ok then just seems to me a silly price points on this and what a wast

dgrambo

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2008
theres way too much funny business going on with this NVIDIA part. i wish to god NVIDIA would release a reference so folks like me can get on board (no pun intended)

Bean007

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
Not sure if I think this is smart. Also there's the 960 that's hasn't made it's showcase yet. I think if you couldn't afford a regular 970 then a 960 would be a better choice. Of course it all depends on what the card is gonna be able to do and at what price range but I bet it's gonna be like the GTX 460 which was a awesome card for a great price.

Pikime

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013
so are these basically lower binned parts? like say you were to buy one and overclock it yourself (maybe even have it underwater) would you get better results the more expensive the model?

Bean007

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005

It's possible. But the one thing with all GPU's and CPU's when overclocking is the batch they came from. Some batches can get awesome overclocks past the companies own overclocks while other batches not so much. Buying the higher overclocked cards just means they've done it for you and you won't get any less then that. While the slower clocked cards cost less you may or may not hit the marks as the higher clocked cards.

Optimatical

Reputable
Oct 8, 2014
Except MSI is the worst brand, next to Zotac. It's amazing people still buy their products, they have SO many issues, just go look at forums posts of the countless issues people have.

Optimatical

Reputable
Oct 8, 2014

Nvidia will never "release a reference". The reference models of the 900 series are released by each manufacturer, their base, boost and memory clocks are always the defaults given by Nvidia, and they're cooled with the standard single fan on the end of the card. If you want a reference card, pick the manufacturer you think has the best quality and support and buy the crappy reference version.

stampedea

Honorable
Oct 8, 2013
You know, just because reference cooler is standard and restrained in how it looks, people think it must be inferior to the whacky looking aftermarket versions. I think that's dead wrong and nvidia reference coolers are awesome, very nice to look at and they dump all the heat out of the back of the case where it should be.

semitope

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
the price difference matters when you already are stretching the budget. In my case I missed a $30 discount and shoulda bought one of the earlier cards but now I'm looking for a discount to $329. unfortunately these lower tier cards are a bit worrisome, unless they have exactly the same PCB components.

fwupow

Distinguished
May 30, 2008
I just got a very reference looking PNY Geforce GTX 970 for $329.00 and according to TechPowerUp GPU-Z 0.7.9, it has 4GB of GDDR5 memory and a GPU clock of 1051 and a boost clock of 1178, so I guess I got an LE card.

Many of these cards are priced up in the $500.00s and I don't get paying another $200.00 for a slight clock boost.

I've made a few runs on 3Dmark11 and scored a P10536 with no over clocking which is more than double what I was getting on two Radeon HD 6770 's in CrossFire. My graphics score was 14475.

Next year, I can drop another one in for double SLI and keep up with the times.

If you're gonna lay out significantly more money, I'd take a look at upgrading to the GTX 980. I dunno. My HIS HD 6770 's were factory O.C'd and I didn't see all that big a difference. Having more shaders and CUDA cores etc. seems to do more.

fwupow

Distinguished
May 30, 2008
According to Extreme Tech, the 970s have very good over-clockability, Not sure whether you need double and triple fan super-coolers to get it or not. My card has the typical reference design blower fan which directs air through a shroud and out the external connector face end of the card. It doesn't seem particularly effective since when I run FurMark, the temperature quickly rises into the 70C area and it seems to start underclocking itself down into the 900 MHz zone.

well as with most all first release stuff I like to wait and see like I do read about these cards with coil whine and underclocking them selves and so forth .. so it looks like a good card at the price bbut I feel it may been released to early and got some bugs to work out or some kind of adjustments

I kinda wondered like at newegg that there most all out of stock and think they released just so many to see and get that feed back to see what issues come in like the coil whine deal and now the next batch may have all that fixed with a better bios or part change .. like evga wow they did some crap like showen here

Manufacturer Response

We understand that some users were expecting the ACX 2.0 fan version to be available on the launch day, but unfortunately the ACX 2.0 development schedule did not allow us to have ACX 2.0 product available at launch. We plan to offer an ACX 2.0 fan upgrade program, stay tuned for news on this.

EVGA 04G-P4-2974-KR G-SYNC Support GeForce GTX 970 Superclocked ACX 2.0 4GB Video Card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

so this guy [verified owner of that 2.0 card] bought the card with the acx 2.0 cooler and got the 1.0 ???
this to me looks bad on evga

fwupow

Distinguished
May 30, 2008
Now I'm interested in popping some liquid cooling into my case just to get it onto my GTX 970. Gotta wonder how much it'll O.C. then. Freaking expensive to buy water-cooling pc by pc. Just a water block is 100 bucks. All in one kits are made for CPU and I don't really need that. I'm falling for this stuff that's gonna get my bank acct wiped out.

I don't see this card as having an impact, not at $10-$20 less then the non light version. But the data presented here of course does not give one enough information to make an informed decision.

What are the "nitty gritty" changes that result in the reduced performance / price ?

Same 6 +2 Phase power design ?
Same Hi-c CAP / Solid CAP design ?
Same Super Ferrite Chokes ?
Same Thermal Pads and Contact Plates on PCB Memory, Memory Moffset, Power Circuitry, VRM Controllers ?

These design / construction features are what separates the MSI 970 from the other vendors and if these are dropped for the cheaper price, then much of the reason to invest in the MSI disappears.

junkeymonkey,
No, the ACX 2.0 version with different fans was just not available at launch. They are going to offer an "upgrade" path to the new cards. There seems little point though as I've read reviews that saw no obvious benefit though they said the ACX 2.0 fans were set too high (noisier than need be).

Other:
The "reference" cooler mentioned is probably referring to the reference GTX980 cooler not a GTX970 card. The one based on the Titan. Can't wait for good non-reference cards there though NVidia's is really nice.

(At 15% average performance difference between 970 and 980 the price difference makes a GTX980 hard to justify)

junkeymonkey,
No, the ACX 2.0 version with different fans was just not available at launch. They are going to offer an "upgrade" path to the new cards. There seems little point though as I've read reviews that saw no obvious benefit though they said the ACX 2.0 fans were set too high (noisier than need be).

Other:
The "reference" cooler mentioned is probably referring to the reference GTX980 cooler not a GTX970 card. The one based on the Titan. Can't wait for good non-reference cards there though NVidia's is really nice.

(At 15% average performance difference between 970 and 980 the price difference makes a GTX980 hard to justify)

junkeymonkey,
No, the ACX 2.0 version with different fans

guy look, that newegg thing is for the acx 2.0 card theres also ones for the cards with the other coolers so he ordered the 2.0 and marked as a verified buyer of that 2.0 card and that was not a review from any of the outher evga cards listed at egg . so it sems he did not get what he payed for and evga like they did with there acx coolers that did not realy fit the card to start just covering there a$$

evgas fast one

http://images.bit-tech.net/content_images/2014/09/nvidia-geforce-gtx-970-review/evga970-10b.jpg

what it should have been and now may be on them

http://images.anandtech.com/doci/8568/HSF.jpg

as far as I see what coming in at egg at the time evga is not looking too good

Bean007

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
It's funny but if you go to eVGA's forums there's people that say it's no big deal that since they're going to replace the wrong fans with the correct ones. How bad is that.

They willing knew what they were doing but didn't tell anybody as far as we know until it was found out. That's so dirty and underhanded.

nothing I guess--- if you like buying something that's noit what you bought and then have to stop what your doing to return it or take it apart and risk damage or what ever to make it right

myself it looks like a misleading hope no one finds out we pulled a fast one deal to me misrepresentation of there product .. did you get what you wanted as they stated or something else that now YOU got to deal with through them to make right after the fact??

I don't buy parts just to have to send them back or do repairs on them or have them ''make good'' something I was lied to by them over??

who else thinks that's a good deal??

Status
Not open for further replies.