MSI system build not booting (GPU bent the PCI express slot?)

mynameisjoe1

Distinguished
May 8, 2015
Hi all, I have an MSI motherboard with a build which has been pretty reliable for me for the past 3 years.

The only reason it has stopped booting is (I think) because of the video card bending the PCI express slot. The video card is about 3 pounds, and always sagged and I didn't do something about it until over 2 weeks ago, I put a piece of wood under it keeping it nice and straight.

Well it worked until I got back and now the computer will not boot with or without the video card inserted. I tried taking everything apart and then back together again and booting without the video card installed, even then, it just turns the fans on for half a second then shuts off.

It's been doing the same thing over and over again, usually it doesnt turn the fans on after the second attempt to turn it on unless I turn the power supply switch off and on again.

I'm strongly believing in the PCI express slot being bent too much because thats what can cause the computer to not boot.

I think im just gonna order a new motherboard now and hopefully that will fix the problem,

I also may get this GPU support bracket for $40, so that the video card doesnt sag anymore:
https://mnpctech.com/gpu-support-bracket/mnpctech-single-gpu-support-bracket-black.html#/product/740

If you guys think the motherboard is fixable please let me know, thanks.

Seanie280672

Estimable
Mar 19, 2017

Before you go and get another motherboard, do you have another PSU you can try ?

mynameisjoe1

Distinguished
May 8, 2015

I dont at the moment. What I ended up doing was selling my Core i7 4790K for $380 CAD.

Then I bought a new AMD CPU and Motherboard (which I know all of this sounds stupid, but I chose to go down this route).

Once I get everything together again I will see if the system boots, and if not then I will know its the power supply.

The PSU is an Ultra 1000W.