MSI Takes The Wraps Off Its GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Lightning Z

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kunra Zether

Reputable
Jun 25, 2016
I thought it wasn't Asus strix at first with go fast stripes lol ?? but seriously everyone should look at what sapphire did the the rx 480 that sapphire nitro + card was beautiful to bad they didn't make a 1070 I would have picked it up.

ledhead11

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014
Did I see that right? 3 8-Pins?!?

I admit I'm curious though for a review. My experience so far with Pascal is that proper power and cooling affect what the final clock speeds are and what OC ceiling you end up with. Hopefully they send one to Toms for review.

Decends

Respectable
Jul 3, 2016
Seems like the MSI GTX 1080 Ti Lightning and the EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Kingpin Classified will "duke" it out for king of the aftermarket 1080 Ti.. I'll see myself out now.

Unfortunately, cards like the Classified and Lightning have not had a "raison d'être" in several generations. Back in the day the vastly improved componentry and user's ability to access and edit the BIOS could lead to significant performance improvements that offered value equivalent, to many, to the $100 or so increase in cost.

It was always easy to justify the cost of the AIB, despite the occasional posts postulating that it made no sense to spend the extra $10-$20 for an AIB. Simply put, the AIB cards better cooling, VRM / memory cooling and improved components allowed stable voltages well above what the reference designs could offer. Now the ROI on spending that $100 Lightning / Classified, Matrox cost premium is just not what it used to be.

nVidia, using both legal and designs restrictions has taken tighter control over what the AIB partners can do to such an extent that it is, very difficult to really distinguish the cards from one another. Not that the improvements included could not actually result in increased performance, Boost 3 and the lack of a BIOS Editor and the gimped ability to crank up voltages acts like the governor on an engine and regardless of the power and headroom available, limits what the card can accomplish.

Status
Not open for further replies.