Review MSI Titan GT77 HX Review: Mighty and Colorful

Sluggotg

Honorable
Feb 17, 2019
Very Nice! Very expensive but I spent over $4,000 on a laptop back in 2000 from Dell. The Massive 15" screen with 1600x1200 rez. It was labeled by some magazines as the "First Real Gaming Laptop". ( The Video Chip was a ATI Rage Pro). Within a short few years I was using it to play Everquest.... They had done a major Update to the newest version of DirectX. It Trounced my hyper expensive laptop. I had to pull the clip plane in to about 10 feet and put the laptop on little stands with a fan blowing over/under it to keep it from locking up. Fortunately I had several nice desktops that played EQ flawlessly. I was using the Laptop when I was playing multiple EQ accounts at once.
Back then that laptop was obsolete for gaming in 2 years. This one? It should be good for many, many years. The upgrade cycle is vastly slower now days. (As we are well aware).

Dr3ams

Commendable
Sep 29, 2021
Hardware Unboxed (YouTube link below) has reviewed this laptop and discovered that Nvidia is cheating again by calling the GPU a RTX 4090, when it isn't. The GPU in that laptop, and every other laptop with a 4090, doesn't even perform as well as a desktop RTX 4080.

jongri

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
I have the MSI GT76 Titan DT-039 UHD 4K (Intel 9th Gen) Windows 10 upgraded XoticPC version purchased November 2019 for $5300. It's
been a total beast for gaming & video streaming. Surprisingly, despite the high end components it was not Windows 11 upgrade compatible per MSI. Other than that it's truly shined as a powerful laptop Desktop replacement for last 4 years.
Looks like I'll be buying the XoticPC upgraded version of this new MSI GT77 HX
with the better Intel Core i9-13980HX, 128GB RAM, Nvidia RTX-4090, 8TB 4th Gen NVMe M.2 OS SSD before 2024. MSI GT Titan UHD series notebooks
are expensive but performance, reliability & versatility make them worth every penny!

jongri

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
Hardware Unboxed (YouTube link below) has reviewed this laptop and discovered that Nvidia is cheating again by calling the GPU a RTX 4090, when it isn't. The GPU in that laptop, and every other laptop with a 4090, doesn't even perform as well as a desktop RTX 4080.

It is a full Nvidia RTX 4090 GPU chip but inside a compact mobile platform that doesn't offer same cooling choices as desktop versions. Performance of GPU/CPU's chips in a laptop will always be lower compared to Full Heatsinked/Fan Desktop GPU/CPU's. It's not Rocket Science everybody already knows inside a laptop CPU/GPU Chips have similar but lower performance than same version Chips inside better cooled Desktop. It's always been like that nothing has changed nor does Nvidia, AMD, Intel or any other GPU, CPU Manufacturers claim otherwise. If you want the best performance for same GPU CPU Desktop is always the choice. Laptops are for those wanting mobility willing to sacrifice some performance to have it.

Last edited:

jongri

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
It is a full Nvidia RTX 4090 GPU chip but inside a compact mobile platform that doesn't offer same cooling choices as desktop versions. Performance of GPU/CPU's chips in a laptop will always be lower compared to Full Heatsinked/Fan Desktop GPU/CPU's. It's not Rocket Science everybody already knows inside a laptop CPU/GPU Chips have similar but lower performance than same version Chips inside better cooled Desktop. It's always been like that nothing has changed nor does Nvidia, AMD, Intel or any other GPU, CPU Manufacturers claim otherwise. If you want the best performance for same GPU CPU Desktop is always the choice. Laptops are for those wanting mobility willing to sacrifice some performance to have it.
The Nvidia RTX 4090 in this laptop only has 16GB similar to the Desktop Nvidia RTX 4080 and runs similar in GPU benchmarks. Needless to say the Desktop Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB has more memory & performs higher on benchmarks like most Full Desktop GPU verses Mobile GPU.