msi tomahawk b350, vga led on, black screen, worked fine for a short time

Szmok

Commendable
Jan 12, 2017
I know there was a ton of threads like this (as I'm digging through them for hours now) but I still didn't find an answer. And it's my first time building a PC so it's not helping at all.
It went nuts for a while (beeps for CPU, MB and RAM not working, everyone of these after resets) but it quickly calmed down.
It did work fine for a short while, I was able to get to BIOS and even start installing Win10 from an USB stick. Then in the middle of installation everything turned black and here we are.

I already tried most of recommended things, I think. Changed PCIe slots, restarted CMOS, unplugged everything unessential, changed RAM slots/modules, even monitors, checked if power supply is properly plugged in into MB, CPU is installed in the correct way, no pins damaged. I don't know what else I can do. I need this build ASAP for my work and sending it for varranty would take days at least.
I don't have now another card to check. Computer seems to boot correctly (no boot/cpu/dram led on), there's just no display. I'm starting to think that I've made a huge mistake with this board or wanting to assemble everything myself.

Specs are:
MB: MSI Tomahawk B350 (BIOS ver. 1.0, I was going to update it but this happened)
CPU: Ryzen 5 1600X
GPU: Asus GTX 750 ti (no OC)
RAM: HyperX Fury DDR4, 2x8GB, 2666MHz
PSU: be quiet! Pure Power 10 600W

Solution
The only thing that worries me is that after hibernation it won't boot and CPU LED will light up. Someone has similar issue with thei Ryzen and it was BIOS thing but well, gotta check this too.
About that mine does like this- I put PC to sleep, it goes to sleep and only led on power button is blinking. Mouse movment or keyboard does not wake it up from sleep only if I press blinking power button. I guess it need to enable some option in bios to allow keyboard/mouse bring back PC from sleep state. Tho it doesn't bother me at all so I didn't searched how to do it.

Szmok

Commendable
Jan 12, 2017

Pulling the battery off did nothing but I somehow got (honestly I don't know how) it to work. Went to BIOS,rebooted and updated it sucefully, but when I turned PC off to plug HDD and fans on everything went back to ground zero. So now I have updated BIOS and vga is still not working...

Lets see you video card vga port stop working after unpluging. Try pulling a stick and run with just one. If that doesnt work try just the other stick. Also try the in other dimm slots to rule out the first bank being bad. You may need to pull the battery again or reset bios.

Szmok

Commendable
Jan 12, 2017

I did as you said. Tried both ram stick in every slot, they behaved the same.
On slots 2 and 4 VGA LED would come on, monitor would lit up but nothing more than a black screen.
On slots 1 and 3 CPU LED was on, which is weird, I think?

I will try to get another graphic card and see if this will change anything. It's Radeon and it's even older than 750ti, I think, but it's working just fine in another computer.

EDIT:
Also, the weird thing is that after unplugging everything on except CPU and it's cooling MB wasn't emiting any beeps (and it should tell me that there's no ram, right?).
Can MB just be faulty?

vygag_

Reputable
Jan 18, 2016
Give it time (if you haven't), when I first time started up this MB I recall it took like 5 mins for it to load up to windows. Tho I used my old SSD which already had W10 and everything else installed- besides drivers. So on HHD it maybe take a bit longer for first start.

Btw you can acces bios?(unclear at which point your PC have this black screen) If you can, click "board explorer" and see if it shows ur gpu plugged in.

Szmok

Commendable
Jan 12, 2017
Ok, thank you for your help! I finally managed to run this build after doing some more magic with RAM sticks. Apparently my MB kindly booted after inserting two RAM sticks in slots 2 and 4. But! It was beeping three times (RAM failure) and then working fine. I swapped sticks (Stick from slot 4 to 2, and stick from slot 2 to 4) and... it's working! No beeps, no VGA LED, POST successful. Installed Windows and it's working almost like a dream now.
Of course, I ran memtest in the night. It finished itself after 4 hours with no errors. I want to stress test MB and CPU this weekend to determine if everything works properly (Maybe I just got very "moody" motherboard, heh). If not - I will probably return MB and buy a different one.
The only thing that worries me is that after hibernation it won't boot and CPU LED will light up. Someone has similar issue with thei Ryzen and it was BIOS thing but well, gotta check this too.

vygag_

Reputable
Jan 18, 2016
About that mine does like this- I put PC to sleep, it goes to sleep and only led on power button is blinking. Mouse movment or keyboard does not wake it up from sleep only if I press blinking power button. I guess it need to enable some option in bios to allow keyboard/mouse bring back PC from sleep state. Tho it doesn't bother me at all so I didn't searched how to do it.

Solution