MSI Tomahawk B450 Motherboard RESTART problem

Feb 10, 2019
If I select restart from the Win 10 start menu the monitor goes blank but the computer stays on in some state (I can tell as I have a wattmeter in line with the AC power and it shows 75 Watts),

If I push the reset button on the case the same thing happens.

To get the PC screen back I have to hold the power ON|OFF case button for several seconds twice to get it to boot.

When I use either restart method the CPU Led on the MB flashes for one second.
Sleep mode works fine, it goes to sleep and only draws 1.5 watts and wakes with the mouse or keyboard as it should. The PC runs normally all application run and all drives work.

I cannot find a reference to this Restart issue, any ideas?

It probably isn't the solution but turn off FAST STARTUP and see if the problem persists.

You could also look at the Event Viewer and go through logs. Look for related Error log and Critical log entries, especially around the time it happened. Those log entries exist to aid in troubleshooting what went wrong.

do an SFC /scannow from a CMD prompt (administrator privileges granted). that rarely does anything, IMO. but they say to do it so just give it a shot. can't hurt.

But I have to tell ya, it can get involved troubleshooting these types of problems. Most people give up and just do a clean re-install of Windows although you could also to a Repair Install with in-place upgrade.

Feb 10, 2019
The event log showed this error:
"The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

I have the latest Bios Ver 7C02.14

I dont seem to have a fast startup item in the Bios.
It is a new windows install and suspect it is more Bios related as the push button reset is hardware Bios level.

It's disabled in Windows...on the Power Options control panel (type Power Options in Cortana search box)

Then 'Choose what Power Buttons Do'

Then 'Change settings that are currently unavailable.'

Then clear check from 'Turn on fast startup' box.

The 'system rebooted without clean shutdown' error probably was logged when you forced a BIOS / hardware shutdown by holding down the power button. Look for some events that occurred prior to that.

Feb 10, 2019
I looked in the Power options and fast startup was set to OFF.
I changed the function of the Power button to Sleep from ON.
I set the Restart button to do nothing but it still functions as it did when set to restart eg it kills the display.
There is no option for restart in the button menus, there is a restart option on the Win 10 Start menu though.
I recall also that when I was installing windows and the install would reboot that I would have to power back up manually as Windows could not do a restart either.

When the restart button is pushed the wattage jumps from 50 to 75 and stays around 75 as if the computer is in some other state.

TRENDING THREADS