Question MSI Tomahawk Max or ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F?

Fusion1005

Commendable
Jan 15, 2020
I'm building my first gaming PC, and I've narrowed down my mobo options to the msi tomahawk max and the asus rog strix b450-f. Which one do you think would be better? I'm planning on using this with a Ryzen 5 3600 and 16GB of 3600mhz RAM. If you have any other mobo suggestions then plz comment them too.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
the Tomahawk MAX for peace of mind. the ASUS board MAY need a BIOS update to support that CPU( the update will require a supported CPU, you cannot use the 3600), the MSI MAX boards have been upgraded already that is what the MAX signifies, that it is ready for the 3 series out of the box.

Reactions: DrummerManSpike
I'd go for the MSI also. The main important difference that stands out to me is that the MSI supports USB 3.2, while the ROG only goes up to 3.1 (however this is irrelevant if your case/periferals/etc. don't match that speed). The only advantage the ROG seems to have is a pre-installed I/O shield panel, but that's only a personal preference many people have that doesn't actually affect anything.

Fusion1005

Commendable
Jan 15, 2020
the Tomahawk MAX for peace of mind. the ASUS board MAY need a BIOS update to support that CPU( the update will require a supported CPU, you cannot use the 3600), the MSI MAX boards have been upgraded already that is what the MAX signifies, that it is ready for the 3 series out of the box.

The website says the ASUS does support Ryzen 3000 series chips.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-B450-F-GAMING/

Fusion1005

Commendable
Jan 15, 2020
I'd go for the MSI also. The main important difference that stands out to me is that the MSI supports USB 3.2, while the ROG only goes up to 3.1 (however this is irrelevant if your case/periferals/etc. don't match that speed). The only advantage the ROG seems to have is a pre-installed I/O shield panel, but that's only a personal preference many people have that doesn't actually affect anything.

My case doesn't support USB 3.2. Any other deciding factors?

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
Reactions: DrummerManSpike