[SOLVED] MSI Tomahawk Max with a ryzen 5 5600x

Feb 5, 2022
I had read that with a bios update the B450 Tomahawk max motherboard would then be compatible with the Ryzen 5000 series. So I tried to upgrade from a Ryzen 5 1600 AF to the Ryzen 5 5600x. Now my PC just boots straight to the bios. Anyone have any ideas.

Solution
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x
Motherboard: MSI Tomahawk max B450
Ram: Gskills 2x8g DDR4 3200
SSD/HDD: 500g Samsung EVO 980 M.2, 2tb Baracuta Hard Drive
GPU: MSI GTX 2060 super
PSU: EVGA 700w 80+ gold
Chassis: NZXT h510

I have cleared the CMOS, then re install the the bios version E7C02AMS.3CE build version 9/27/2021 the newest I could find. That didn't work so I recleared the CMOS with the same issue straight to bios. I've rechecked the install of the CPU, cooler and hard drive everything looks ok. And the boot drive is set to my M.2 drive which was my only drive when I installed windows.
Are you trying to use the same Windows installation from previous?

By default the modern BIOS might try to use UEFI mode and...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

When you're in BIOS, can you see what BIOS version you're on at the time of writing? As this is a thread of troubleshooting nature, you're advised to parse your system's specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

On a side note, BIOS updates tend to reset most settings to default. Might want to see if your BIOS settings did change or if there's anything missing from your Boot Devices.

I had read that with a bios update the B450 Tomahawk max motherboard would then be compatible with the Ryzen 5000 series. So I tried to upgrade from a Ryzen 5 1600 AF to the Ryzen 5 5600x. Now my PC just boots straight to the bios. Anyone have any ideas.
I assume you have a BIOS that's at least basically compatible with Ryzen 5000 or you wouldn't even get into the BIOS screens.

If you haven't, reset CMOS. And check your BIOS revision: update to the very latest for maximum memory compatibility. Be sure to reset CMOS again, after the update.

Feb 5, 2022

I have cleared the CMOS, then re install the the bios version E7C02AMS.3CE build version 9/27/2021 the newest I could find. That didn't work so I recleared the CMOS with the same issue straight to bios. I've rechecked the install of the CPU, cooler and hard drive everything looks ok. And the boot drive is set to my M.2 drive which was my only drive when I installed windows.

Are you trying to use the same Windows installation from previous?

By default the modern BIOS might try to use UEFI mode and enable the fTPM, which you may not be able to disable. Try making sure the system is in CSM mode (Compatibility Support Mode) so that it boots with old fashion MBR instead of trying to use the EFI partition. If it boots then the drive may not be partitioned in GPT.

It it does it's POSSIBLE you may have to clean install Windows for the new CPU and BIOS, both to get the boot drive partitioned using GPT scheme for UEFI mode operation and to enable secure boot. If it doesn't but you can see the boot drive in BIOS it's almost certain you'll have to clean install Windows.

Solution