MSI Tries Different, Smaller, Stealthier External Gaming Docks

Status
Not open for further replies.

SheriffMoose

Reputable
Oct 2, 2014
I really like where MSI is going with these ideas. Its great having a powerful desktop, but its a pain to haul around all of the parts needed to LAN parties. The laptop dock is even more interesting to me, as you can get the ultra portability of the laptop when you want, and just add the dock when you go to a LAN to get about the same performance you would in a pretty powerful desktop, depending on the price point, of course. Video cards are typically the main component that hold back laptops; assuming the PCI-E system they use doesn't have significant limitations/overhead, I imagine it'd be a great way to extend the longevity of a gaming laptop, especially since we haven't gotten close to saturating the PCI-E 3.0 lanes.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
Hey sherrif. Unless I'm getting bunk info , the connector these laptops use a 8 lane 3.0 connection. Probably not an issue now, but its a good stopgap measure.

As for the aio with a wart, it isn't made for us/ euro markets. Its for the emerging asain market. Thing will sell like hot cakes to cramped computer cafes

brettms71

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
This is exactly what i'm after. I have an MSI laptop with a 880m inside it. It's great for gaming. But sometimes I want more. I guess I will have to upgrade the laptop at some point, so will definitely be getting a MSI with a docking station. Was waiting for the new design, because the old one was a bit ugly :)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I gave MSI this idea 10 years ago, so where's my payoff? The conversation went something like this:

Me: You know the docking stations nobody uses any more? Why not run with that idea as a graphics enclosure? You can power the card from the enclosure, and people can use the same machine for high-end gaming as they use on the road!

Them: What would we use for an interface?

Me: You could use the PCIe interface or, better still, have your engineers search the industry for a solution that's less fragile and easier to connect.

MSI: That sounds like a terribly big connector, I don't think our notebooks have room on the circuit board for this type of feature.

Me: Your guys are smart, tell them to keep looking until they find something.

MSI, I only want a buck for every notebook you sell with this feature. I'll make it easier for you, a buck for ever gaming dock you sell. See, I'm not greedy, this is more about the credit than the money :p

Heck, you can knock it down to $0.25 if you name the interface after me and print that name next to it :)

I'm pretty sure that first conversation was at CES 2005, and I talked to them again about it a few years later when they were showing an experimental ExpressCard solution.

Exodus Black

Honorable
Feb 1, 2014
This all looks so amazing, I really can't wait to buy this. External GPUs are so cool, I hope this becomes a standard and kills the pricetags on some of those expensive gaming laptops/ultrabooks (I'm looking at you Razer).

Status
Not open for further replies.