[SOLVED] Msi Trio rtx 3070 underpeforming

poorbugger

Distinguished
Oh god i'm sorry for posting so much recently but my dad's rig is just full of problems. For some reasons, his rtx 3070 is underperforming. My asus tuf rtx 3070 can easily hit 106fps in heaven benchmark while his only get 91fps using all the same settings. I even ran ddu and reinstall drivers. I also set the power management to maximum performance. No overclock was performed. Everything was on stock. The gpu temps is 64C while the core clock is 1980mhz. Gpu usage is 100%. Cpu is ryzen 7 5800x. Rams are 32gb all running at 3200mhz. I also tested it out using games. My asus tuf rtx 3070 can hit 142fps on ultra in star wars battlefront 2 1440p while his can only hit 70fps and dipping to 60fps on the same settings. The only difference is that he's using a riser cable that's connected to a pcie 3.0 x16 while i connect my gpu directly to pcie slot 4.0. I have no idea what else to do. Power supply is thermaltake gx1 700w and it's new too. In cold war, i've compared the result to a youtube video using zombie mode. Every settings is the same. The guy can get 120 fps while the trio struggles to hit 60fps in the same scene and location. I read about the performance loss from using riser cable but it shouldnt be this bad. This is the riser cable used.
https://shopee.com.my/-TECWARE-VXR-Vertical-GPU-Mounting-Bracket-Riser-Card-FOR-VXR-ONLY!-i.59277182.2653872071

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Their to many variables when your talking about PC performance.

The risers I would not use or recommend looks cool but anytime you add extra length to the connection your loosing some performance.

For the same game well could be and could not be have their been updates since the video was made using the same driver version, You never listed his card is it overclocked to the same speeds.

Do you him and the video have the same CPU and memory, same server ping?

Their just a bunch of different things.

For the video I never trust them I can make one show anything I wish after editing, you can show the video with everything to ultra then change a few settings but edit that part out.

poorbugger

Distinguished
Does performance improve if you move the card to the slot?

Thats a decent loss. Something you'd see if you were comparing 1080 to 4k instead of pcie3 vs pcie4.

What motherboard is this, Maybe that x16 slot is only x4 electrically.
The motherboard is the asus b550 tuf gaming plus. I cant use the other slot because of the riser cable. The cable is 3.0 while the slot is 4.0. If i use it, i cant install the nvidia driver. It would just bug out. Also i think i have identified the problem. In gpuz, it says this. Bus Interface: PCIe x 16 3.0 @ x1 3.0. So it's running at x1 speed only right? Here's the gpuz screenshot.
pJC3QJB.jpg

Last edited:

poorbugger

Distinguished
Their to many variables when your talking about PC performance.

The risers I would not use or recommend looks cool but anytime you add extra length to the connection your loosing some performance.

For the same game well could be and could not be have their been updates since the video was made using the same driver version, You never listed his card is it overclocked to the same speeds.

Do you him and the video have the same CPU and memory, same server ping?

Their just a bunch of different things.

For the video I never trust them I can make one show anything I wish after editing, you can show the video with everything to ultra then change a few settings but edit that part out.
My cpu is actually worse which is the ryzen 5 3600. Memory capacity is only 16gb but same speed. His card has higher clock speed than mine because of better cooling or something idk since mine is only clocked to 1890mhz. I didnt overclock both cards, they're running on stock settings. The games i tested are running on same servers while cold war zombies is running offline. Also i think i have identified the problem, the bus interface shows PCIe x 16 3.0 @ x1 3.0. Any ideas how to fix it? Thanks for the reply. Here's a screenshot of the gpuz
pJC3QJB.jpg

poorbugger

Distinguished
Okay i think i fixed it. Heaven is showing normal scores now and cold war is same with the benchmark video that i saw. Here's some steps that i took to solve it in case anyone faced the same problems.

1. Reseat the riser cable in the same slot. (Doesnt work)
  2. Take out the usb card connected to the pcie x4 slot i think that's what it's called. There's some improvement as originally it was pcie x1 3.0, it switched to pcie x4 3.0 after removal of usb card.
  3. Went into bios and change the slot to pcie gen 3 on the gen4 slot. Shut down pc and discharge everything. Connect the riser cable to the gen4 slot but now it's running at pcie x16 3.0. Thank god it wasnt the cable but in the future, better stick to known brands.
Thanks to everyone who were involved in helping