MSI Unveils New Haswell-powered Embedded Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

NAG3LT

Honorable
Jun 18, 2012

The 2 slots on the left look like RAM slots. PCI express is a single slot on the right.

G

So it's just a Haswell mini-itx. Ok. I don't understand why it deserves a whole article. Any clarification guys?

__Miguel_

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011

That is absolutely right.

Slots on the left are Mini-PCIe (next to the SATA ports) and 2x SO-DIMM (a.k.a. notebook memory); slot on the right is PCIe 16x.

It sounds like a rather nice board for quite a few applications besides industrial, actually... A version without all the COM ports (maybe leave one, though you'd probably be able to get away with using only the GPIO pins) and an HDMI port would probably be fantastic as a low-power HTPC, or a rather powerful router. I'd like to know about price, though.

rezzahd

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013

My understanding behind this is the fact that there are not currently many boards that are Mini-Itx that are Haswell specific.

Lutfij

Titan
This particular lineup of the CPU being onboard the mobo would be perfect for OEM's and system integrators like dell/hp who would market them to laymens and ofc people who don't want to go through the hassle of building a rig for rendering. In fact this rig with its small footprint will be very popular among rendering farms...the dual lan does great for backburners.

__Miguel_

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011

Hmm... Maybe because it's designed to be used on self-contained industrial applications? That's at least plausible, no?

No idea.
I guess they mean it's the motherboard that's embedded into the system, not the CPU embedded into the motherboard.

I just don't understand what in particular makes this "embedded" versus any other motherboard of the same form factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.