MSI Updates Gaming Laptop Arsenal with Windows 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Estix

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012
Maybe I'm being cynical here, but I think that OEMs are moving to Windows 8 (from 7) due to the lower licensing price to them, instead of any real benefit or demand on the User side.

Also, checking the site, it's fascinating to see that they're offering a flagship-level laptop with a Trinity processor! (GX60 1AC-021US)

I think it's actually a great idea, all things considered; it makes for a much more balanced build.

icepick314

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
"In addition to the Windows 8 upgrade, select models of the GT70 now feature a Killer Wireless-N 1202 card, increasing networking speeds by up to five times."

uhmm...from what I've read from all the Killer brand network cards, they aren't worth the money since you can adjust QOS and port adjustments on most routers...also you don't really gain THAT much speed over since it's mostly upto your ISP...

rebel1280

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
Also, is W8 still restricting the whole no mature rated games thing for their os? Will steam fully support W8, i think thats a relevant question as it is being touted as a gaming laptop. What games officially currently support W8?

fb39ca4

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
[citation][nom]rebel1280[/nom]Also, is W8 still restricting the whole no mature rated games thing for their os? Will steam fully support W8, i think thats a relevant question as it is being touted as a gaming laptop. What games officially currently support W8?[/citation]
Yes, Steam and anything else that runs in Win7 works in Win8.

fb39ca4

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
[citation][nom]Estix[/nom]Maybe I'm being cynical here, but I think that OEMs are moving to Windows 8 (from 7) due to the lower licensing price to them, instead of any real benefit or demand on the User side.Also, checking the site, it's fascinating to see that they're offering a flagship-level laptop with a Trinity processor! (GX60 1AC-021US)I think it's actually a great idea, all things considered; it makes for a much more balanced build.[/citation]
But gaming laptops already have dedicated GPUs so does not make sense to sacrifice CPU performance for a better integrated GPU.

computerguy72

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
MSI's laptop support is terrible. I have one of their latest and there are lots of nagging flaws with the touch pad, power mode switching and more. 7 months in and *0* updates to the video driver, I had to use laptops2go's driver to get an update. Also my power connector broke inside making it very difficult to charge - emailed MSI and it took 4 days to get a response. I feel rather disappointed.

widj

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2007
is MSI a good laptop brand? I was looking at asus G75, not sure which one I should get, the MSI has a better graphic card

Estix

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012
[citation][nom]fb39ca4[/nom]But gaming laptops already have dedicated GPUs so does not make sense to sacrifice CPU performance for a better integrated GPU.[/citation]

Gaming laptop performance isn't really CPU-limited :p

The big benefit would be using the integrated graphics to play games (on lowish settings) on battery power for more than the 1 hour afforded to most gaming laptops.

Or, for that matter, integrated graphics that can at least play back HD flash videos without dropping frames...

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Not ready to jump onto the Windows 8 bandwagon, yet. Actually, I think a bandwagon is too large for the general interest of Windows 8. I'll go with just a plain old wagon, here.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]icepick314[/nom]"In addition to the Windows 8 upgrade, select models of the GT70 now feature a Killer Wireless-N 1202 card, increasing networking speeds by up to five times."uhmm...from what I've read from all the Killer brand network cards, they aren't worth the money since you can adjust QOS and port adjustments on most routers...also you don't really gain THAT much speed over since it's mostly upto your ISP...[/citation]The wired ones weren't worth the difference in price. The wireless ones are. Not all wireless adapters and routers are equal - far from it.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4590/bigfoots-killern-1102-wireless-networking-vs-the-world/10

I prefer gaming wired, but if I had to use wireless, I'd either get a machine with one of these or buy one and install it myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.