MSI usb issues

Rj_14_

Commendable
Nov 18, 2016
So I was reading other posts on here and I was trying to fix my mouse and keyboard turning off when it entered the windows login screen I accidently disabled the usb onboard controller and now I can't even access the bios Please help me This started to happen when I was install a intel graphics card update they both stopped working

Rj_14_

Commendable
Nov 18, 2016

I have another computer its a mac is there any way I can remote access into it

Pimpom

Distinguished
May 11, 2008

Can't think of any. Why don't you reset the BIOS first? At least then you'll have access to it with your keyboard and mouse.

Can you give more details about the circumstances? Is it that you made a fresh installation of Windows 7 and your kb and mouse are plugged into USB 3 (blue) ports? If that's the case, it's normal for the kb & mouse to stop working once Windows takes over from the BIOS. That's because Win7 by itself doesn't come with drivers for USB 3.0.

There are workarounds to the problem, but please clarify the situation first.

Rj_14_

Commendable
Nov 18, 2016

Ok So I have reset my bios by taking the battery out now I have encountered a second problem I can't use my keyboard and mouse Once I get to the windows login screen
Thanks for the help anyway

Pimpom

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Clearing the BIOS is only the first step. As I said before, Windows 7 does not have drivers for USB 3.0, so it's natural that you can't use keyboards and mice plugged into USB 3 ports once you've entered Windows at start-up. There are ways to solve that problem.

1. If you have USB 2.0 ports, plug your kb and mouse into them and you'll be able to use them. Use it that way to install the drivers for your motherboard. Once you've installed the drivers, you'll be able to use them on the USB 3 ports.

2. If you have or can borrow a PS/2 mouse and/or keyboard and your motherboard has PS/2 port(s), you can use those until you've installed the motherboard drivers.

3. Some motherboard BIOSes have provision to disable USB 3 function and limit them to USB 2 functionality. You can use them that way until the mobo drivers are installed.

4. If none of the above is applicable in your case, you'll have to make a slipstreamed Win7 installation disk from a thumb drive (USB flash disk) with USB 3 drivers pre-installed.

The last option (No.4) is a separate topic on its own and there are step-by-step instructions on how to do it. I can give you links to them and help you along. But first let us know your situation regarding the first three options.

For example, what's your motherboard model? Does it have USB 2 and/or PS/2?

Rj_14_

Commendable
Nov 18, 2016

Ok so none of the usb 3.1 or 2.0 are working for the keyboard and mouse When I plugged in say A camera it worked phone and lit up to indicate it was on
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130927&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Motherboards+-+Intel-_-N82E16813130927&gclid=CjwKEAiAjcDBBRCJxouz9fWHynwSJADaJg9B4CX_-z-qzFQO8RSH2hWXCjgsKzbQzLoNx6UMiVUbvxoC1enw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds This is my motherboard

Pimpom

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Now that's weird. I assume the kb & mouse work until Windows starts and that USB is not disabled in BIOS. Your mobo does have PS/2 ports. If you can get hold of at least a PS/2 mouse, see if it works.

TRENDING THREADS