[SOLVED] MSI Vega 56 Air Boost OC crashes computer

Nov 13, 2019
Hey, so I bought an MSI Vega 56 8gb Air Boost OC a few months ago, and have had quite a severe amount of trouble with it.
I have found that when the card goes under heavy loads it crashes and the only way for me to get out of it is to hold the power button until it turns off the PC. If I use the restart button then the computer restarts but goes to a black screen, and I still have to hold the power to shut it down completely.
The card has a Tachometer on it, and whilst I run it just with the internet open or similar it has 1 of the 8 LED's on, it goes up to 7 when an intensive game (Modern Warfare and Apex Legends are the main crashes) is being played. It will sit around 7/8 of the LED's on before crashing and going back down to 1 LED.
I have all my drivers up-to-date with radeon settings on 19.11.1. Both the PCI-e headers are plugged into the card, so I'm not sure what to do.
--PC Specification--
MSI Vega 56 Air Boost OC 8gb
MSI B350 Gaming Plus ATX Motherboard
Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz
500gb crucial SSD
1tb WD HHD
A network card
DVD Drive
2 front case fans
1 back fan
AeroCool Case
500W EVGA 80 PLUS PSU

Any help would be much appreciate, as I would rather like to be able to play my games :D
P.S. The card doesn't crash on easier games such as Spyro Reignited Trilogy or Skyrim.

Solution
D
power supply is too weak, it's recommended 550W minimum for that card, i would get a 650 of something good and reliable
D

Deleted member 14196

power supply is too weak, it's recommended 550W minimum for that card, i would get a 650 of something good and reliable

Solution
Nov 13, 2019
Ok, any suggestions? I also read somewhere that apparently daisy chain PCI-e headers can cause issues with this card. I'd prefer something as cheap as possible but I know that I can't go for the cheapest of the cheap.

D

Deleted member 14196

going cheap on psu is the WORST thing you can possibly do! Don't is my advice, it can fry all your other stuff if it fails as cheapos often do.

SeaSonic Focus series is where I would look. look below, I would get the 650 for some headroom.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1381270-REG/seasonic_electronics_focus_series_ssr_550fm_550w.html/?ap=y&ap=y&smp=y&smp=y&lsft=BI:514&gclid=CjwKCAiA8K7uBRBBEiwACOm4d8dudz2bX05hP-7CzhY3nh0hS5_Ku6fXKUeLSWEt1JzPrj5hiCE2bxoCGR8QAvD_BwE https://seasonic.com/focus-gold

remember to use ONLY the cables that come with your new psu and NEVER use the old cables unless you feel like frying something by accident.

Nov 13, 2019
going cheap on psu is the WORST thing you can possibly do! Don't is my advice, it can fry all your other stuff if it fails as cheapos often do.

SeaSonic Focus series is where I would look. look below, I would get the 650 for some headroom.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1381270-REG/seasonic_electronics_focus_series_ssr_550fm_550w.html/?ap=y&ap=y&smp=y&smp=y&lsft=BI:514&gclid=CjwKCAiA8K7uBRBBEiwACOm4d8dudz2bX05hP-7CzhY3nh0hS5_Ku6fXKUeLSWEt1JzPrj5hiCE2bxoCGR8QAvD_BwE https://seasonic.com/focus-gold

remember to use ONLY the cables that come with your new psu and NEVER use the old cables unless you feel like frying something by accident.
Ok, thank you, I might have to go back to my old GPU for a while then until I can get the new PSU. Thank you for the help! :D

Dec 27, 2019
I have the same card and I flashed my card with SAPPHIRE VEGA 56 NITRO+bios. sounds a bit strange but Now my system works without any issues. You could try it

Jan 18, 2020
I have the same card and I flashed my card with SAPPHIRE VEGA 56 NITRO+bios. sounds a bit strange but Now my system works without any issues. You could try it
Hi,

Has your card still remained good since the bios change?

I have the MSI AirBoost Vega 56 too. I've had the black screen crashes pretty much within a few months of owning it. They don't happen all the time but only happen in games. I've also had it on a EK waterblock since owning it with temps never rising above 45c. My PSU is a EVGA 1000w T2, so should be no problem there. I've been looking through threads and forums on this same subject for months. I'm starting to feel its AMD drivers, but if your solution is still working I might give that a go.

Many thanks.