[SOLVED] MSI Vega 56 on MSI B450M + Seasonic Focus+ Gold wont start even the CPU fan

Oct 5, 2019
MSI Vega 56 on MSI B450M + Seasonic Focus+ Gold wont start even the CPU fan

I thank the members of this forum for their excellent contribution to the society and to people like me.
PC Config
  • MSI B450M Motherboard
  • AMD Ryzen 3600 CPU
  • Gskill RipJaw 8x2 = 16 GB RAM
  • MSI Vega 56 Air Cooled GPU
  • Seasonic Focus+ Gold modular 80+ 650W PSU
Problem
When my GPU is attached and power button is pushed, I hear a CLICK sound in my PSU nothing more. CPU fans don’t spin = so nothing more happens.
Background
I was playing a game with moderate settings not pushing the GPU and CPU limits. Then suddenly, my PC shutdowns, then this problem exist.
It is a brand new build about a month old. I have RMA for every part I guess.
My Motherboard + CPU needs an external GPU to test whether my GPU has failed or not. I neither do not have an additional GPU or PSU to test. I suspect two things:
  • GPU has failed because even without connecting the power of GPU, and just by seating it on the motherboard PCI E slot and switching on the board, I hear only the CLICK sound from PSU - CPU Fan does not spin
  • PSU has failed because it needs more power for the GPU because this happens only if I attach the GPU on the motherboard
I cannot come to one conclusion.
What I have tried:
  • Took all components out, placed it on a cardboard, and tested each component separately
  • Did a Seasonic PSU jump starter test = PSU fan starts (OK) – but this is a simple test
  • Took everything out of my Motherboard except the CPU, 24 Pin + CPU power attached. CPU fan spins and EZdebug detects CPU
  • Attached the Ram and switched on again. CPU is detected normally, RAM is detected normally because the only the MSI EZDebug GPU led turns on.
  • Updated the motherboard BIOS using usb flash method – it successfully finished because I could see that via EZdebug. This means Motherboard, CPU, RAM, and even the PSU is OK.
  • Reset the CMOS battery - Jumper on motherboard (some suggested this)
  • Attached finally checked my GPU PINS – all ok, and properly seated on the PCI-E slot, and turned on the motherboard (tried with both normal mode and power save mode bios available on GPU)
    • Without connecting the power for GPU. Then I hear a small CLICK sound from my seasonic PSU, nothing else happens.
    • After connecting the power for GPU. Then also I hear a small CLICK sound from my seasonic PSU, nothing else happens.
P.S: between all the tests, I turned off my PSU and then turned on! I took care of static electricity as well.
Help me
  • To figure out what components I must send back for RMA. I initially thought the Seasonic PSU has some component failed because it could not draw the required power, but after step 3.a I think now my GPU has failed. Am I correct?
Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Last edited:
Solution
Hey Guys, also @Obakasama ,

I tested my GPU / MSI Vega 56 on my friend's PC, and it reportedly failed to boot on that PC as well. His PC was able to boot after switching back with his PSU+GPU.

This concludes me to send back MSI Vega 56 for RMA, but the question is what is the root cause of this issue?

Let me recall the problem: a brand new build, 1 month of problem free working, and I never stressed the computer more than 2-3 hours, probably, the last time I could have used the PC for more than 3 hours under moderate graphics settings i.e., 60% of GPU power and less than 40% of CPU was consumed when I was playing the last game. Then suddenly, my PC turned off = means lost power, then refused to boot.

Should I send both my...
Oct 5, 2019
I got my Seasonic PSU last month, August 2019 in Germany. So this is not Pre-January 2018 PSU. - but this makes me to believe more that PSU has failed me.

Thanks for pointing this out, this info is not clearly mentioned in the Seasonic website, they just say the following in their website: https://knowledge.seasonic.com/article/20-focus-plus-and-gpu-potential-compatibility-issues

FOCUS PLUS and GPU potential compatibility issues
A few users have reported possible compatibility issues between pre-January 2018 FOCUS PLUS power supplies and certain brands of GPU models during heavy gaming / GPU utilization. This may result in a black screen or random reboot of the system. If you experience such occurrences, please contact support@seasonic.com and we will test your power supply and take necessary action to rectify any possible issues.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2019
@Obakasama Thank you so much. I have already contacted their support email address. I have to just sit and wait. What I would really like to have is Seasonic mentioning in their website a list of compatibility or recommended table with their PSU / GPU. So it gives a good choice for the customers. When I built my PC, Seasonic brand was the top most recommended for PSU, so I went for that one. If I knew, the GPU (Vega) and the PSU series (Focus plus) had compatibility issues, I would have definitely went for a different series in Seasonic or their competitors.

Oct 5, 2019
Yes, you are right. Of course, I was not aware of these issues before. I am posting the following info for the benefit of others:
Problems with Focus
  1. https://linustechtips.com/main/topi...uldnt-buy-a-seasonic-focus-plus-goldplatinum/
  2. https://linustechtips.com/main/topi...s-goldplatinum/?tab=comments#comment-12821954

For new comers, including me: I did not know that this list exist before :
1. https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1045610-new-psu-tier-list/

I just got the following reply from Seasonic.

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Seasonic and sorry for this issue.

By the description of your issue, it seems not to be related to the issue we have found related to the huge spikes under load that got Vega platform. These spikes, that are outside ATX specifications, triggered PSU safety from first version of FOCUS Plus and will shutdown computer. But you could be able to start again computer. Also, your PSU is from the last generation and is fully supporting Vega. Please kindly apply for RMA either directly to your reseller and ask for an exchange (you are covered by their warranty for 2 years after purchase as per EU Regulations) or apply for RMA down this page: www.seasonic.com/support. Once your RMA is approved, you will receive instructions to ship back your product to us for test and exchange.

Any question you may have, please let us know.
Thank you.

I am now thinking about returning the Focus plus gold for money (if possible, I guess it could be) and buy another PSU. I have shortlisted the following PSUs.

1. Bequite STRAIGHT POWER 11 - 650W - 5 year warranty - https://www.bequiet.com/en/powersupply/1253
  2. Cosair RM 650X - 10 year warranty - https://www.corsair.com/de/en/Categ...ced/RMx-Series/p/CP-9020178-EU#tab-tech-specs
  3. EVGA 650 GQ - 5 year warranty - https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=210-gq-0650-v1

Which one would you guys recommend?

Oct 5, 2019
Hey Guys, also @Obakasama ,

I tested my GPU / MSI Vega 56 on my friend's PC, and it reportedly failed to boot on that PC as well. His PC was able to boot after switching back with his PSU+GPU.

This concludes me to send back MSI Vega 56 for RMA, but the question is what is the root cause of this issue?

Let me recall the problem: a brand new build, 1 month of problem free working, and I never stressed the computer more than 2-3 hours, probably, the last time I could have used the PC for more than 3 hours under moderate graphics settings i.e., 60% of GPU power and less than 40% of CPU was consumed when I was playing the last game. Then suddenly, my PC turned off = means lost power, then refused to boot.

Should I send both my PSU and GPU, and perhaps, even the motherboard or only the GPU and PSU?

In any case, I will send the GPU.

Post your thoughts! I never thought my GPU will fail like this, not even at full load.

Solution
Does sound like the emphasis of the problem lies with the graphics card. Would say it's a safer candidate for an RMA. Harder with the PSU, but depending where you got it then perhaps you could. (So many hardware combinations which could be tried, but time consuming for troubleshooting.)

Oct 5, 2019
Yes, it is certain that GPU has failed.

To be on the safe side, I sent both the GPU and PSU for RMA. My re-seller told me that they would test the PSU with a new GPU and ship them back.

By the way, I am closing the thread - however I will post the updates once I got my new parts - perhaps some test results as well.

Oct 5, 2019
Refer: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...down-while-playing-apex.3453990/post-21421132

Hello Folks,

Finally after a month, a refurbished GPU arrived and I bought a new PSU - yes, it is the Antec 650W HCG gold. It has been working for a week without any issues.

Today, I was playing Apex Legends for ~ 2hours , then suddenly my PC lost power again. Motherboard MSI Gaming plus motherboard has 4 leds onboard - the GPU led was on! I was like "OhS@it" - what is the problem now! I forced the power button to restart, then CPU led was on ! I was like OhMG!.

Then switched off my PSU, then switched on my PC = ok ! everything booted up properly. I went to check the Windows event log to find out what happened.

The last event before pc turned off was the following:
Error 20-11-2019 19:47:22 EventLog 6008 The previous system shutdown at 19:32:39 on ‎20/‎11/‎2019 was unexpected. Warning 20-11-2019 18:30:53 RestartManager 10010 Application 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\dllhost.exe' (pid 6452) cannot be restarted - Application SID does not match Conductor SID.

I ran CPU, GPU stress tests, superposition benchmark, ran it for a while. My PC was stable no issues. How to debug this situation? I do not know what went wrong.

My assumption is the following: some restart service triggered some issue - but still, why my GPU led was on and then CPU led ? cannot arrive into a conclusion.