Question MSI Ventus XS RTX 2060 6 GB OC version is too loud on idle?!

Apr 21, 2019
Hello!

my new RTX 2060 is too loud in idle. I also cant get lower than 30% fan speed in msi afterburner. From other post I think that the card is set to a min of 30%, but still it is too loud at 30%. I get 60 dB with case closed in the sound meter app on my phone. This is clearly not quiet, compared to the advertised 20 dB mode!! Maybe its a faulty unit or I am dumb and dont know how to set the fan speed.
Does anyone relate to this Problem? If yes, than what would be a possible fix?

a video I took for this purpose:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JQcKG_0Zgw

Apr 21, 2019
I couldn't make out the make and model of your chassis. Mind sharing your specs with us like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

I did a quick search, mind you, where did you get 20dB?

sorry my bad for not describing my built
short description to my system:

CPU: ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz base with stock cooler

GPU: MSI Ventus XS RTX 2060 6G OC dual fan

Motherboard: TUF B450-Plus Gaming

PSU: Thermaltake smart RGB 500W 80 plus 230V EU

RAM: Corsair Vengance LPX 2x8 GB 3000Mhz

case: fractal design focus G with 2 silent 120mm stock cooler and 2 extra 120mm MS-Tech snow owl fans. all have max 1200 rpm

ok maybe not advertised but I ve read multiple other threads like mine so yeah the unofficial 20 dB. Other than beeing too loud at the preset 30% min, it does some other weird noises!

I tried getting a new one from the shop and give the bad one back, as here in Germany they allow you to return the product within 14 days from purchase. But I was informed that it takes from 6 to 8 weeks until the new one get. So I will try to get a new one from the MSI now. Hopefully it doesnt take so long.

iMatty

Reputable
Mar 14, 2019
Well i have an RTX 2060 FE and on idle it runs on 10% ish fan speed like 1200 RPM for both fans, it shouldn't be really at 30% on idle it doesn't make any sense.
It might be getting too host inside your case, how is your airflow and how is your fan's set to work? push/pull?
It should be on 1200RPM ish on both fans on idle not more, and there will be a 5 or 6 RPM difference between both of them, thats how my 2060 working and its cool as hell it stays on 28 C on idle.

Apr 21, 2019
Well i have an RTX 2060 FE and on idle it runs on 10% ish fan speed like 1200 RPM for both fans, it shouldn't be really at 30% on idle it doesn't make any sense.
It might be getting too host inside your case, how is your airflow and how is your fan's set to work? push/pull?
It should be on 1200RPM ish on both fans on idle not more, and there will be a 5 or 6 RPM difference between both of them, thats how my 2060 working and its cool as hell it stays on 28 C on idle.
Update
I managed to return the faulty card and got a new one, and it works perfectly. I think I was lucky that they accepted. There is still smth bothering me, although its not acfually an issue. The minimum fan speed is set at 30%. Its not loud or anything, but I cant change it below this value!
And there is smth weird now. I now get high temps above 40C on my cpu with cpu fan speed of 2200rpm and motherboard 30C on a room temp of 25C in the fractal design focus g case. This case has a good airflow in my opinion. It has 2 positive pressure stock coolers at the front running on automatic at 800-900 rpm one at the bottom uncontrollable rpm positive pressure, one at the back 800-900 rpm negative pressure. As I know, the more positive pressure the better. Ah and I ve also set the fan side of the PSU showing uppwards because it looks cool with the rgb. Until now I havent noticed any difference of the temp dependency of gpu to which side of the psu it faces.
It seems I have no control over the min fan speed of 30% over my gpu.
At which room temp does your gpu get 28C and how many fans u ve got, whats the design of your case? I think there are so many more variables to the temp of one single component, that one can only play it safe by trial and error.

iMatty

Reputable
Mar 14, 2019
Well i live in a hot country, i live in doha if you ever heard of it, but our air coolers is pretty freezing so my case stays cold a long time, even without the AC on its still at 30C it doesnt go above that, and my case is Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus - Mid Tower Computer Case with USB 3.0 and Windowed Side Panel, i have the stock fan infront of the case that is pulling air in, one fan on top pulling air in as well, and one fan on the back pushing air out, and the power supply is down to get the heat out of the case not in the case.
Also my room temp is like 18 C or something right now? its pretty cold.
Plus you need to make it equal intake = outtake.

Apr 21, 2019
Well i live in a hot country, i live in doha if you ever heard of it, but our air coolers is pretty freezing so my case stays cold a long time, even without the AC on its still at 30C it doesnt go above that, and my case is Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus - Mid Tower Computer Case with USB 3.0 and Windowed Side Panel, i have the stock fan infront of the case that is pulling air in, one fan on top pulling air in as well, and one fan on the back pushing air out, and the power supply is down to get the heat out of the case not in the case.
Also my room temp is like 18 C or something right now? its pretty cold.
Plus you need to make it equal intake = outtake.

Cool! Doha is the capital of Qatar. I knew about Qatar but not about Doha beeing its capital. Thanks for sharing your experience. I ll try to set positive and neagtive pressure equal and see what happens