Question MSI vs ASRock BIOS features available for AM4 - PBO, XFR, undervolting,etc.

eroman

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
Good day.

I know from experience that I can easily manipulate the Intel CPU turbo boost by increasing or decreasing the TDP - this way I can choose between higher or lower temps and clocks and let the turbo boost do the clock calculations automatically.
I would like to have this option in the Ryzen PC, and it seems different motherboard manufacturers have some limitations, and maybe the "x" CPUs have more features unlocked?
I am interested in getting a b450 motherboard from MSI or ASrock, and use a Ryzen 2600 OR a 2600x if the "x" unlocks more BIOS options.

Could someone link me to a BIOS feature datasheet or know from experience if these settings are available for MSI and ASRock boards:
  1. Manual offset undervolt of VCore (I read that latest MSI BIOS supports this feature) - this feature is a must.
  2. TDP limit option - directly increase or decrease the power envelope of the CPU package by a custom value would be the best option. E.g. set CPU TDP@90W instead of 100W, thus reducing only all-core max boost clocks (which are the power consumption peak). Fewer core boosts should remain unchanged, as they do not consume the peak TDP.
  3. Precision boost and/or XFR manual settings - options to manually set PPT, EDC, TDC,etc.
  4. Does the "x" Ryzen offer more BIOS features over the non-x?

In most good on b450 x470 boards enabling PBO tells cpu to ignore boost frequency limits. You can also expand current, power temp,temp limits so cores will boost longer and higher

Some boards lack voltage offset but latest msi updates added them.

Pbo over clocking only works on2nd gen ,x, cpu,s . Don,t know how 3rd gen features work yet.

TheTerk

Contributing Writer
Editor
Nov 23, 2009
www.twitch.tv
  1. so on my X399 Taichi board, I have CPU Vcore Voltage which can be Fixed or Offset.
  2. on the ASRock, Advanced> AMD CBS > NBIO Common Options > cTDP Control
  3. ASRock, PBO is found under OC Tweaker > Precision Boost Overdrive
  4. I do not believe the X series has more UEFI features than non-X ones. XFR is handled more on the die itself instead of user-editable settings.

My MSI X470 is currently under test at the moment, will update the thread when that's available.

Reactions: ocer9999

TheTerk

Contributing Writer
Editor
Nov 23, 2009
www.twitch.tv
With MSI X470 M7:
  1. OC > CPU Core Voltage > Auto/Override Mode/Offset Mode
  2. Overclocking > Advanced CPU COnfiguration > cTDP limit control
  3. same as #2

Honestly, I think the MSI is a tad bit better quality and the UEFI has more polish and functionality built in. I love the fact I can bump up the frequency multiplier and not mess with the voltage and get safe settings up to about 4.0GHz.

eroman

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
Thank you for the replies.
It seems both ASRock and MSI offer similar functionality to the BIOS.
Only thing that I am not certain about is whether "x" and non-x CPUs have the same BIOS features. I read in a forum elsewhere that the BIOS lacked some CPU features when the chip was non-x, but it still not clear whether it was the BIOS itself or the chip.