MSI vs Asus 970

Gewibrown

Reputable
Aug 12, 2014
(From England) should I get the Asus 970 instead of the MSI 970 considering that the MSI version is £25 cheaper. Is it worth it?

Solution
In my personal experience, which represents a statistically insignificant sample size, I've had a 50% failure rate with Asus video cards (0% with their motherboards!) and no trouble at all from MSI video cards. In your place, I'd choose MSI for a video card.
In my personal experience, which represents a statistically insignificant sample size, I've had a 50% failure rate with Asus video cards (0% with their motherboards!) and no trouble at all from MSI video cards. In your place, I'd choose MSI for a video card.

Solution

jeffredo

Distinguished
I bought an MSI GTX 970 Golden Edition and it had fairly pronounced coil whine. Performed perfectly, but I returned it - didn't want to listen to that for the price I payed. My only other MSI experience was an HD 7850 and it was great. I've had two ASUS cards (GTX 670 and HD 7770) and they were both fine. I count the GTX 670 DirectCU II as one of the best GPUs I've ever owned.

Also, from what I understand coil whine can happen to any high performance card so getting one that is quiet(er) is kind of a crap shoot regardless of brand. For that much less money I'd probably chance the MSI.

danielchew

Honorable
Sep 26, 2013
For that 25 pounds difference the Msi GTX970 gaming is the way to go featuring higher clock speeds and overclocking ability and more control over the cards. Since i bought the Msi there is no coil whine at all the card is really quite even at 100% fan speed i cant bearly hear it. And you can control the fans speed of you like ti using msi's afterburner app