MSI vs ASUS Gaming Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigpapa42

Reputable
Aug 25, 2015
So my old HP laptop looks to have died and although I have a gaming desktop (build is a few years old now) and an Xbox One, I'm strongly leaning toward getting a mid-level gaming laptop. Most "heavy" games that I play are on the console. But I do play stuff like Football Manager, Euro Truck Simulator, Farming Simulator, maybe Skyrim. Being able to run some (or all) of those on the laptop would be lovely.

I've narrowed it down to two options. Both are at the edge of what I can spend but I like the look of both:

MSI Apache Pro GE72 2QD-079US
ASUS ROG G751 G751JL-DS71-CA

A local shop has both available. The MSI is in stock and $1350 Can. The ASUS would have to be ordered in and is $1500. They are very similar machines, except the MSI has a 5th generation i7 chip and the ASUS has the GTX 965M video card. RAM and hard drives are the same. Both have aluminum cases and backlit keyboards. The MSI might have some plastic and from what I've read, the ASUS probably has a slightly better battery. But I'm not sure its worth the $150 difference, especially with the MSI 2-year (sorta?) warranty.

I've never had either brand in a laptop before but from researching, it looks like both are solid. My gaming rig had an ASUS mobo that fried after 2 years and I replaced it with an MSI but not reading too much into that.

So is there anything that really makes the ASUS worth the extra $150?

Status
Not open for further replies.