MSI vs ASUS r7 265?

goleminthegearz

Reputable
May 2, 2014
Hi, guys. This is my first time posting here, but I read a lot. I'm trying to settle on a graphics card, and I've found myself plagued with indecision, though.

I'm trying to decide between: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127790

And: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121868

I'm not to well versed with asus or msi, so I'm just worried about things like who has the best customer service, and which card will run the coolest. It seems like lots of people say that asus 'Direct CU II' cards run really cool, but does it run cool enough to be $10 more? And I like the look of the asus one more, but that seems like a silly reason to pick a card, in my opinion... I just am really indecisive, and would really love some input, or if someone sees any pros/cons that I dont. Thanks! :D

Solution
well, the 265 is just a rebadged 7850... as anyone who has a 7850 can tell you, it overclocks really well so you want one with unlocked voltages. The MSI does not have unlocked voltages... the Asus does. That MSI cooler also does a poor job cooling the VRMs on the board. So again... it won't overclock well.

If you have no interest in overclocking your 265, get the MSI, it will do the job just fine. if you want to overclock, get the Asus
well, the 265 is just a rebadged 7850... as anyone who has a 7850 can tell you, it overclocks really well so you want one with unlocked voltages. The MSI does not have unlocked voltages... the Asus does. That MSI cooler also does a poor job cooling the VRMs on the board. So again... it won't overclock well.

If you have no interest in overclocking your 265, get the MSI, it will do the job just fine. if you want to overclock, get the Asus

Solution

goleminthegearz

Reputable
May 2, 2014

Thanks, that was actually very helpful! I hadn't even thought about overclocking, and it's not something I intend to do right away, but I definitely want to be able to overclock further down the road. Thanks a ton!