MSI X370 Gaming Plus and 2666 MHz DDR4 ?

guillaume.retureau

Prominent
Nov 15, 2017
Hello everyone,

I'm currently building a entire new rig and I've met some hardships while doing it. Let's say some doubt.

Choosing the AMD Ryzen 7 1800X (3.6 GHz), I've seen that the MSI X370 Gaming Plus was told to be optimised for it. And then I was told the Ryzen would run even better if combined with high frequency RAM.
Here is the issue : the MOBO only accept under 2400 MHz RAM in normal conditions and then can OC to 3200. But it seems that a lot of people have been complaining about having instability because of that frequency.
Has it been fixed since then ? Or is it still the case for high frequency?
I wouldn't use the highest frequency, I chose a 2666 MHz RAM but will it be stable or could I have some troubles?

In short, is the combination AMD Ryzen 7 1800X (3.6 GHz) / MSI X370 Gaming Plus / DDR4 HyperX Fury, Rouge, 2 x 8 Go, 2666 MHz, CAS 16 a safe one or should I change to something else?

Thanks a lot for your time and have a great day!

Yee_Man

Reputable
Mar 4, 2015
I haven't had any problems with lower frequency ram, and i'm sure you won't see a difference with 2400MHz vs 2666MHz. I've never overclocked RAM before as it's speed isn't that important imo. I can see overclocking being buggy still.

guillaume.retureau

Prominent
Nov 15, 2017
I would not see the difference between those two but with faster RAM, it seems to have a greater impact.
Get a look at this article : https://www.google.fr/amp/s/www.eteknix.com/memory-speed-large-impact-ryzen-performance/amp/