Question MSI X370 GAMING PRO CARBON M.2 problem

Apr 21, 2019
Hi, I have this motherboard and have a Samsung Evo 860 M.2 as the primary C drive. I have a WD Blue M.2 in the second slot (F drive). Even though the Samsung is my boot drive, when I try to replace the WD M.2 , which I only use for file storage, I get the message "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media....." and the computer will not boot.

I have put the Samsung drive as the first priority in the BIOS.

Any suggestions as to how I can swap out the WD drive an not get this message when I try to restart the computer after doing so?

Thanks!

I don't have that MB manual in front of me, as it is buried in my admittedly very disorganized garage, but I am running an older MSI MB which allows me to specify boot order between any number of probable devices, and a second-level menu selection allows me to exclude boot devices until only the desired boot device will be used.

There have been times when I have had to bring up the system by initially forcing the boot device, then relaxing the boot device limitations later, after all is installed and configured. I don't recall ever finding it in writing, but did happen across it as a tool in my particular set of menus.

I was hoping that this might be the case with your Pro Carbon.

Apr 21, 2019
The MSI interface is a little different, it just shows the list of devices and you drag the icon of the one you want as the priority boot drive to the front of the list. I have seen any information for a secondary drive, but maybe I’m not looking in the right place.