Question msi x370 pro carbon and r5 3600x- memory

ronss

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
I installed r5 3600x on my msi x370 pro carbon gaming....ok...I had a r5 1600, and it seems i could run 3200 mhz with my memory.... i have corsair vegeance and another kit of rgb vegerance....when I install the memory on my r5 3600x rig, i get 2133 mhz with the rgb, and 2400 mhz with the stanard vergeance....that is all get out of this...if i try more, it will not load windows....is this normal?

Are you trying to run all this memory TOGETHER, or are you trying to run these two separate kits separately? How many sticks are in each kit?

We need a lot more detail than you've provided so far.

Generally, you need to set the A-XMP profile in the BIOS, but first I'd recommend that you check to see if you have the MOST recent motherboard BIOS version installed.

As well, if you are using two DIMMs, then make sure they are installed in the A2 and B2 slots which are the second and fourth slots over from the CPU socket.

Then, prior to setting the XMP profile in the BIOS, it would be a VERY good idea to do a hard reset of the BIOS since you've changed CPUs and are making attempts with multiple memory kits. I would try to stick to the memory that worked previously with the old CPU for now. The other kit could be incompatible and just messing with the memory training settings in the BIOS so concentrate on a single kit for now and that should be the kit you know worked before.

BIOS Hard Reset procedure

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for five minutes. In some cases it may be necessary to remove the graphics card to access the CMOS battery.

During that five minutes, press the power button on the case for 30 seconds. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

If you had to remove the graphics card you can now reinstall it, but remember to reconnect your power cables if there were any attached to it as well as your display cable.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

In some cases it may be necessary when you go into the BIOS after a reset, to load the Optimal default or Default values and then save settings, to actually get the hardware tables to reset in the boot manager.

It is probably also worth mentioning that for anything that might require an attempt to DO a hard reset in the first place, it is a GOOD IDEA to try a different type of display as many systems will not work properly for some reason with displayport configurations. It is worth trying HDMI if you are having no display or lack of visual ability to enter the BIOS, or no signal messages.

Simran Jeet

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2015
Always pair same memory modules and as you mentioned that one memory is running at 2133 and another at 2400 so I'm assuming that both the sticks are different spec, generally different modules don't work together it shows 2 modules but only one works however u can check it while playing games or other workloads just keep an eye on memory usage if memory is in use more that the capacity of 1 stick then it's fine, and if you want higher memory clock then try enabling xmp

ronss

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
I did not say anything about mixing, i said the rgb vengeance got 2133, and the standard vengeance got 2400...does that sat I am mixing the standard and rgb, I dont think so...its got latest bios....wonder if I went with x470 or 450 , the memory would run 3200 mhz

Yes, you would probably have much more luck with a newer chipset. Many of those 1st gen chipsets have had trouble running memory with the newer Zen2 CPUs, even if that memory worked with an older gen CPU. Those 300 series boards, even with an up to date BIOS, just don't have as good of memory compatibility.

I'd highly recommend the B450 Tomahawk max or Gaming Pro Carbon. Those are not highly expensive boards, but they ARE terrific boards with very good VRM configurations.

Even so, if you decide to you want to give it a further go with the board you have let me know. There are some additional things that can be tried although they will involve making changes to the memory configuration and timings in the BIOS in order to try and get those sticks to work properly.

Reactions: ronss