Question MSI X470 Gaming Plus won't recognize new BIOS update, haven't had this issue in the past.

bpanugget

Reputable
Aug 17, 2018
I've been thinking about getting a new 3000 series CPU for my PC, and need to update my X470 Gaming Plus BIOS to version 7B79vAA. I've been able to do flash updates on my MB multiple times in the past 7 months. I go to MSI's website, download and extract the BIOS update to a USB drive, boot to BIOS, select the flash update option, select the BIOS update from the USB, and update.

However, for this latest update, I keep getting the error message "This BIOS update is not from MSI. Please contact customer support".

I've tried multiple times with multiple flash drives, and it just doesn't work.

Any ideas?

bpanugget

Reputable
Aug 17, 2018
I have a Ryzen 5 2600. If this is any help, the exact message I get is:

"The BIOS is not MSI BIOS, update will be ignore !!! If this file come from MSI, please contact with MSI"

Gotta love that broken English.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
LOL
I would definitely Contact MSI support and see what they say before doing anything else.
I also have a 2600 and I will NOT even consider upgrading to a 3000 series CPU (probably a 3700x) until sometime next year after the BIOS bugs get worked out.

bpanugget

Reputable
Aug 17, 2018
LOL
I would definitely Contact MSI support and see what they say before doing anything else.
I also have a 2600 and I will NOT even consider upgrading to a 3000 series CPU (probably a 3700x) until sometime next year after the BIOS bugs get worked out.

Well, the new BIOS seems to have allowed me to get my DDR4 RAM TridentZ stable at 3200mhz (I have 32 gigs). Before I could only get it up to 3066mhz. So far, so good for me.

Reactions: DMAN999

bpanugget

Reputable
Aug 17, 2018
How did you get it working ?
Please post your solution because it could help others that run into this issue.

I was extracting the files from the BIOS update download to an existing folder on the USB flash drive. The time that the BIOS accepted it, was the first time I had created a new folder specifically for the update.

TRENDING THREADS