[SOLVED] Msi X470 Gaming Pro Carbon Supports Ryzen 3000?

ioannis2015v

Reputable
Dec 12, 2018
Hi, I had chosen the Msi X470 Gaming Pro Carbon as mobo in my future pc build and lately I chose the Ryzen 5 3600 as CPU. Will X470 be compatible with ryzen 3rd gen and zen 2? Because in the site of Msi I didn't find any information. Lastly, if it is going yo be compatible, I heard something about Bios updates but also that I will have to use another cpu to install updates. Is that true? Because I won't have that possibility and it will be hare for me. Last of all, X570 haven't been released yet, have they? And how much will they cost?

Solution
If you get that Motherboard and it says Max on the box then it's Ryzen 3000 ready.
If it doesn't say Max on the box you will need a 1000 or 2000 series CPU to install so you can update the BIOS to the Beta BIOS that supports the new Ryzen 3000 series CPU's.
You might be able to get a loaner CPU from AMD:
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100

ioannis2015v

Reputable
Dec 12, 2018
Ok, thanks a lot!!! I read about the loan on Amd's site. Do you know if the Msi X470 Gaming Pro carbon can update Bios through a flash disk or I will have to loan an Amd cpu or I will have to ask for updating by the store?

ioannis2015v

Reputable
Dec 12, 2018
If you get that Motherboard and it says Max on the box then it's Ryzen 3000 ready.
If it doesn't say Max on the box you will need a 1000 or 2000 series CPU to install so you can update the BIOS to the Beta BIOS that supports the new Ryzen 3000 series CPU's.
You might be able to get a loaner CPU from AMD:
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100
I read all the other information found on Amd and some of them may be useful but what does the below thing mean:
Original Manufacturer Replacement
The Original Design Manufacturer (ODM) of the motherboard will support affected end users with an RMA exchange for a compatible motherboard, upon request. Affected end users are recommended to contact their local representative for the motherboard manufacturer to exchange their motherboard.

So, if I buy an msi x470 I can ask for replace and what I get? I don't understand.
Also the msi x470 gaming pro carbon hasn't flashback so I will have to loan a cpu from amd or ask retailer if they can update Bios or what's about mobo manufacturer?

Last edited:
From reading 1 of the TH other threads the msi boards bios space is to small and the new updates have left out some features and people aren't very happy about it.
You mite want to read more about it before buying that mobo.

As far as price for x570 mobo here is what microcenter has listed this current prices at time of this posting.

Reactions: ioannis2015v

ioannis2015v

Reputable
Dec 12, 2018
From reading 1 of the TH other threads the msi boards bios space is to small and the new updates have left out some features and people aren't very happy about it.
You mite want to read more about it before buying that mobo.

As far as price for x570 mobo here is what microcenter has listed this current prices at time of this posting.
So what should I do??? Buy ryzen 7 2700 with this motherboard so I won't have to take this beta version of Bios? Buy an X570 mobo? Find another X470 which will also support flashback so I can easily update Bios to use r5 3600? But the problem is the money. I would really love to buy the new Msi x570 Gaming pro carbon but it costs 290€ when the same x470 costs 170€. What are your suggestions? Please help me!

From what you said in the beginning ( your future build ) so I'm taking this as you haven't bought parts yet.
If this is the case Time is on you side.
By waiting
1)current x470's will be replaced with updated versions.
In msi's case it's definitely going to take more work for them.
  1. your budget to grow.
  2. reviews to start coming in from reviewers and here on TH for the x570's.

Reactions: ioannis2015v

ioannis2015v

Reputable
Dec 12, 2018
From what you said in the beginning ( your future build ) so I'm taking this as you haven't bought parts yet.
If this is the case Time is on you side.
By waiting
1)current x470's will be replaced with updated versions.
In msi's case it's definitely going to take more work for them.
  1. your budget to grow.
  2. reviews to start coming in from reviewers and here on TH for the x570's.
Ok, thanks for your response. So, I am going to wait until September/November and then I will decide. You said that current X470 will be replaced by new versions. What do you mean? They will be ready for ryzen 3000 without updating BIOS. Is it like "MAX" for MSI? Because I read something about that but it hadn't the Msi x470 gaming pro carbon in MAX version :(
And lastly, is there any chance that the MSI X570 GAMING PRO CARBON to cost about 230€ in november (now it costs 290€)???

ioannis2015v

Reputable
Dec 12, 2018
I've owned the Gaming Pro(non carbon) for about 8 months now and the newest BIOS supports 3rd gen Ryzen CPU's. I just flashed to the latest version, now just waiting for the new chip.
Oh thanks for your response, when you say flashed what do you mean? How did you update the Bios? With another Cpu??? Please help me!

TRENDING THREADS