Question MSI X470 GPC not posting after new parts

Lima0-1

Reputable
Apr 23, 2017
So today I went out and bought 2 packs of CM MF120R ARGB 3 in 1 and also the Corsair Vengeance RGB 16GB 3200MHz. I disassembled my computer and cleaned it up, re-applied thermal paste, clean fans, install the new parts etc.... and after I was done I tried to see if it would work and everything lighted up but it didn't post or display anything. My keyboard and mouse didn't light up either. The CPU debug light was lit and nothing else. Won't post and I can't even get into BIOS.

I removed the new RAM and tried again, followed by all the RAM and also the GPU but still the same, only the CPU debug light is lit. The DRAM and VGA debug LEDs aren't lit up even though I removed them. I disconnected non essentials from the motherboard, removed all but CPU and PCIe from the PSU and left only the pump connected but still the same. Cleared CMOS countless times but still persists.

Before installing the fans and new RAM it was working fine, I was gaming and doing photoshop work no problem. There were no signs of the computer dying either.

What could be the issue here? Dead CPU or dead motherboard? Not enough power to support all the fans and RGB? The entire build is less than 3 months old. CPU, GPU and RAM are all overclocked but not too extremely.

Specs are as follows:

Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.2GHz
Cooler Master ML360R AIO CPU Cooler
MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon
Gigabyte RTX 2070 Windforce
Kingston Hyper X Predator RGB 16GB 3200MHz @ 3400Mhz
Transcend MTE220S 1TB
CM MWE 750W Gold
Lian-Li PC-O11

The new parts bought were the Corsair Vengeance RGB 16GB 3200MHz and 6 Cooler Master MF120R ARGB

Lima0-1

Reputable
Apr 23, 2017
Have you put the old RAM in? If that doesn't help then I'd redo the cooler, take it off and maybe check the pins on the CPU. Is it possible you overtightened the cooler?
Yes, I have put in the old one as well as tried the new one, still nothing. Bent pins might not be the issue because I didn't remove it from the socket at all. Over tightening the cooler is a possibility as it did happen but I loosened it and reinstalled the cooler and still the same. Probably gonna leave it overnight and see how it goes tomorrow.

Lima0-1

Reputable
Apr 23, 2017
Do you have an aftermarket air cooler to test with? Next step is to see if a different bracket mechanism allows the system to post. If it does, we know the issue resides with the AIO remount.
I don't at the moment, I bought this rig in a neighbouring country so all the boxes are left at my house in that country, I have the stock Wraith Prism there though.

Lima0-1

Reputable
Apr 23, 2017
Hi guys, i'm in the process of running through troubleshooting and I was wondering if insufficient power could be an issue. Considering that i'm now running 9 120mm fans with RGB I was wondering if it's possible that it's drawing all the power and not powering up the CPU component? I found out after I came back from work that if I were to remove all the fan stuff I was able to boot normally.

Hi guys, i'm in the process of running through troubleshooting and I was wondering if insufficient power could be an issue. Considering that i'm now running 9 120mm fans with RGB I was wondering if it's possible that it's drawing all the power and not powering up the CPU component? I found out after I came back from work that if I were to remove all the fan stuff I was able to boot normally.
You won't know until you try it. Typically if there's a header involved, adequate power should already be factored. However, i've seen instances where systems fail to post because of both fan headers or fans being faulty.

Last edited:

Lima0-1

Reputable
Apr 23, 2017
Hey guys, i've managed to get everything working again but still absolutely no idea on what the was the problem that caused it. I started with a barebone, only CPU, RAM and GPU installed and slowly plugged in 1 component(1 fan header or USB pins etc..) after every successful boot and eventually everything was plugged in and it was working fine no problem.

Lima0-1

Reputable
Apr 23, 2017
You won't know until you try it. Typically if there's a header involved, adequate power should already be factored. However, i've seen instances where systems fail to post because of both fan headers or fans being faulty.
If I remember correctly what I read, my motherboard will post but instead of BIOS or windows show up it shows a fan fail warning on the screen and will tell me to power down and fix the issue. That didn't happen at all, only CPU ez debug light all the way.