[SOLVED] MSI X470 Motherboard Bios Update

Jul 13, 2019
Hello, im new to Pc's and i'll be building my first Pc next week and after having a look at the parts im buying I ran into an issue which is it says I will need a bios update for the msi X470 gamming pro in order to use the Ryzen 7 3700x. What does that mean? Can I not use the Ryzen 7 3700x? Any help would be appreciated, Thanks!

Solution
Your best action to take after completing the build:
(It sounds really confusing and a touchy, slippery slope...but this is just standard procedure)

What you'll need:

Separate computer
USB flash drive with at least 8gb free space
An internet connection on the separate PC

Take the USB flash drive and plug it into the working PC, go to File Manager>This PC>(USB). Right click on the USB and click "Format", don't touch the unit allocation size, but format it into a FAT32 (Bootable drive) format, and rename it to BIOS update if you'd like.

Next go to the MSI website and go to the support page for your motherboard (if you really do have the X470 Gaming Pro, this will be where you want to go >...

SlugBugBuddy

Reputable
Jul 29, 2019
Your best action to take after completing the build:
(It sounds really confusing and a touchy, slippery slope...but this is just standard procedure)

What you'll need:

Separate computer
USB flash drive with at least 8gb free space
An internet connection on the separate PC

Take the USB flash drive and plug it into the working PC, go to File Manager>This PC>(USB). Right click on the USB and click "Format", don't touch the unit allocation size, but format it into a FAT32 (Bootable drive) format, and rename it to BIOS update if you'd like.

Next go to the MSI website and go to the support page for your motherboard (if you really do have the X470 Gaming Pro, this will be where you want to go > https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/X470-GAMING-PRO )

From there download the latest BIOS update available, you might need to extract the files, but essentially you'll want to open the downloaded file and copy its contents onto the USB. (It'll probably be like a .260 or .290 type file)

After it's done copying right click on the USB in "This PC" again and click "Eject" (this will allow you to safely remove the USB without corrupting its contents)

Then you'll want to take your BIOS flash drive and plug it into your new build --Before initially powering it on.
After you've made sure your new build is completely intact, power it on and press F1 when prompted for the initial BIOS setup.

After that you'll want to find "M-Flash" or anything that involves Flashing. Then select Update from USB or something. After which your PC will restart into Flash Mode, from there simply select the update file from the USB and let the BIOS do its thing.

(They'll tell you this anyway, but DONT UNPLUG THE USB OR POWER OFF YOUR PC WHICH THE BIOS IS FLASHING, It doesn't matter how long it takes, you just shouldn't)

After it's done, simply restart and continue installing your Windows 10 OS and you're good to go

Solution