Feb 28, 2019
Hey all, first time poster here. I have a few questions about the overclocking process for a Ryzen 7 1700 on an MSI X470 Gaming PLUS MOBO. I've watched a few tutorials online and have run some tests myself and determined that I'm pretty satisfied with a 3.0 to 3.7ghz processor OC and bringing my ram from the board enabled 2133Mhz to 3200. Problem is, however, not a single guide seems to help with the definition of their power consumption. When I enable the OC from the BIOS, it turns off AMD Cool n' Quiet. I've enabled it when I have the CPU voltage at a defined value and it doesn't seem to operate, only when the voltage is set to "Auto" does it seem to take any form of effect. I've read some forums stating the "Auto" voltage feature will sometimes drop out and cause the processor to stick during its OC and force a soft-lock. One forum stated that I need to get the AMD chipset update for the Ryzen balanced power plan, but on that same form the guy was pretty "End of the world fiery MOBO death" if you OC practically at all. I also noticed that with Cool n Quiet enabled that the wattage only drops about 8-10 watts idle and full load sides respectively. There seems to be so much misinformation or lack of true results for me to make a true assessment so I figured I'd ask the question myself.

TL;DR

Overclocking a Ryzen 7 1700 on an MSI X470, is it ok to run at a constant 1.3v fluctuating to a fairly consistent 1.275 as per CPUID HWMonitor at idle or is there something I need to do to be sure this thing doesn't light on fire? Temps running at 57*C when running Prime95 Blend torture test after about 10 minutes. Started to rise after that but I'm not going to ever reach the load that puts on it with this PC.

TRENDING THREADS