Question MSI X470 with Ryzen 5 2600, monitor not working after BIOS update

Sep 12, 2019
Hi all,

I'm a newbie here on the forum, so apologies if I have posted this in the incorrect place. I also know very little about computers so please be kind and forgive me if I sound like an idiot!

So heres the story... My 16 year old son has been working his rear end off earning money to build his own gaming computer, he's now got all of the parts for a modest first attempt (which he is planning on upgrading over the next few years), but we are having serious issues with getting it to work and I'm at my wits end.

The specs are:
MSI X470 motherboard
Ryzen 5 2600 CPU
Cooler master hyper 212 evo CPU cooler
Samsumg SSD
Crucial CT8G4DFS8213 8GB DDR4 ram
Corsair CP-9020098 power supply
Asus Turbo GTX1060-6g graphics card

He put everything together originally, however one of the screw pins on the cooler fan that came with the CPU was bent and so he couldn't fit it. He then ordered the cooler master as a replacement and it went on smoothly. fitted everything and turned it on and..... nothing. Computer started up, fan worked, no output to monitor, CPU error light on and could not turn the computer off with the button. Tried a different monitor, different cables, different sockets on the wall and back of computer and no change.

We then took it to a local computer tech support company where they diagnosed the BIOS needing updating. They used a cheap CPU, and the monitor worked so they could update the BIOS on the motherboard to the latest version and apparently everything worked fine. They sent me a picture of the monitor as the BIOS was updating to show it being done, the details are a little difficult to make out from the photo but it looks like the latest BIOS. Put my sons CPU back in and monitor was not working again. Was advised by the tech support company that it must be a faulty CPU

I went back to the shop and they replaced the CPU, put that in and still the same issue as before; Computer starts up, fan works, no output to monitor, CPU error light on and can not turn the computer off with the button. Everything is seated and connected properly.

Went back to the tech support company and apparently everything worked when they tested it with the other CPU, that the Bios was updated and they are adamant that the only thing it could be is that the CPU and motherboard are not compatible so will not work together. Now after looking myself I'm not sure I agree with them on this, as unless I am missing something, the motherboard was made for the CPU?! (Or the other way round?) It hasn't left me with a lot of confidence in what they have to say

I have tried researching on how to fix it, and I can come up with lots of advise to upgrade the BIOS, but nothing on what to do if the BIOS doesn't fix the issue yet all parts are working... So I am really hoping that someone might have an idea on where to go from here and what to try next please?

Thank you in advance and apologies if I sound like an idiot, I am completely out of my depth here!

G

First of all good on you for helping your son!

Anyway that CPU is indeed compatible with that motherboard and i have no idea why they would tell you otherwise. How compatibility works between those components is CPUs have a specific socket type in this case AM4 and this represents the interface between the motherboard and the CPU. The motherboard will then have a specific chip set in your case X470. AMD Ryzen processors come in 3 generations currently identified by the first number of the model. 1000 series processors came with the chipsets X300, A320, and X370. 2000 series processors use the platforms B350 and X470 and are backwards compatible with the earlier chips. The new 3000 series uses X570 and B450 and is backwards compatible with the B350 and X470 but not the 1000 series chips.

Sorry if that was complex but what i am trying to say is it will absolutely work. and is compatible.

What may be wrong is your CPU itself. It is rare but sometimes you get a dud. I would go back to the shop and make them test your CPU in a new motherboard and see if it works. I'm guessing it will not in which case submit an RMA or return it as defective and get a new one.

Reactions: GemmaS
Sep 12, 2019
First of all good on you for helping your son!

Anyway that CPU is indeed compatible with that motherboard and i have no idea why they would tell you otherwise. How compatibility works between those components is CPUs have a specific socket type in this case AM4 and this represents the interface between the motherboard and the CPU. The motherboard will then have a specific chip set in your case X470. AMD Ryzen processors come in 3 generations currently identified by the first number of the model. 1000 series processors came with the chipsets X300, A320, and X370. 2000 series processors use the platforms B350 and X470 and are backwards compatible with the earlier chips. The new 3000 series uses X570 and B450 and is backwards compatible with the B350 and X470 but not the 1000 series chips.

Sorry if that was complex but what i am trying to say is it will absolutely work. and is compatible.

What may be wrong is your CPU itself. It is rare but sometimes you get a dud. I would go back to the shop and make them test your CPU in a new motherboard and see if it works. I'm guessing it will not in which case submit an RMA or return it as defective and get a new one.

Hi there,

Thank you so much for your speedy reply! And for the clarification on the compatibility. I thought I was going mad when they kept insisting that was the issue

The current CPU is actually the replacement for the original one which I returned as faulty when the BIOS update didn't work. You say its rare... Is it common enough to get 2 faulty ones in a row? If it isnt that do you know what else it could possibly be? Don't get me wrong, I am naturally an unlucky person so it could be the case

Many thanks
G

Hi there,

Thank you so much for your speedy reply! And for the clarification on the compatibility. I thought I was going mad when they kept insisting that was the issue

The current CPU is actually the replacement for the original one which I returned as faulty when the BIOS update didn't work. You say its rare... Is it common enough to get 2 faulty ones in a row? If it isnt that do you know what else it could possibly be? Don't get me wrong, I am naturally an unlucky person so it could be the case

Many thanks
G

That would indeed be very unlikely and if so points to some deeper concerns. When they tested your motherboard did they use the RAM you provided or did they put new RAM in? also did they use the power supply you have or their own?

Currently i can see three plausible issues

1: the CPU is indeed bad and you got extremely unlucky. as suggested before take it to them and make them test it on their machines its honestly somewhat questionable why they would not do so already
1B: you did not mount the CPU properly either it was misaligned or there is insufficient mounting pressure from the cooler. I am assuming they tested it in which case i assume they did it correctly.

2: the RAM you are using is problematic and you may have a bad DIMM. This happens far more often than Bad CPUs and i have personally had 5 bad sticks before. To test this reduce to a single stick of ram and test every slot. repeat for each stick and see if any work. if so then that is the problem. Note this only applies if they used their own ram

3: Your power supply is faulty. Have them use a multi meter to test the rails and see if they are working. Note this only applies if they used their own power supply.

I am completely certain the motherboard you are using is compatible with the CPU you are using have them check the website if they doubt it.

Reactions: GemmaS
Sep 12, 2019
That would indeed be very unlikely and if so points to some deeper concerns. When they tested your motherboard did they use the RAM you provided or did they put new RAM in? also did they use the power supply you have or their own?

Currently i can see three plausible issues

1: the CPU is indeed bad and you got extremely unlucky. as suggested before take it to them and make them test it on their machines its honestly somewhat questionable why they would not do so already
1B: you did not mount the CPU properly either it was misaligned or there is insufficient mounting pressure from the cooler. I am assuming they tested it in which case i assume they did it correctly.

2: the RAM you are using is problematic and you may have a bad DIMM. This happens far more often than Bad CPUs and i have personally had 5 bad sticks before. To test this reduce to a single stick of ram and test every slot. repeat for each stick and see if any work. if so then that is the problem. Note this only applies if they used their own ram

3: Your power supply is faulty. Have them use a multi meter to test the rails and see if they are working. Note this only applies if they used their own power supply.

I am completely certain the motherboard you are using is compatible with the CPU you are using have them check the website if they doubt it.

As far as I am aware they used my ram and power supply, however I could be wrong. They also made sure everything was seated correctly. My son was planning on upgrading the ram from 8GB to 16GB once the computer was working, but if that could be the issue then we'll do that now to rule that out. I'll also get a multi meter, and by the power of YouTube instructional videos, we'll see if we can test the rails on the power supply ourselves, keep your fingers crossed that we don't blow ourselves up!

Once again thank you for all your help so far, I really do appreciate it
G