[SOLVED] MSI X570 MAG reporting wrong 5700G temps ?

h3r3t1k

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2012
I updated to the latest BIOS (beta) even before assembling the PC. I was in the process of testing RAM OC and had that dialed in when I realized that the CPU fan wouldn't spin up in Prime95. I got a beefy cooler but still temps reached 91C when I stopped it and the CPU fan was chilling at 800rpm (BQ Dark Rock 4). What? Then I realized that the CPU temp from the MOBO sensor was way off as in 40C too low under load. I changed the curve but to no avail. What the heck is this? I can't use my PC if the mobo reads wrong CPU temps.

https://imgshare.io/image/unbenannt.pu7met

You can see how the temp from the mobo is way off. Quick IBT run: CPU tctl/tdie max 77C, mobo CPU max temp 40C. Fan 720rpm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
I updated to the latest BIOS (beta) even before assembling the PC. I was in the process of testing RAM OC and had that dialed in when I realized that the CPU fan wouldn't spin up in Prime95. I got a beefy cooler but still temps reached 91C when I stopped it and the CPU fan was chilling at 800rpm (BQ Dark Rock 4). WTF? Then I realized that the CPU temp from the MOBO sensor was way off as in 40C too low under load. I changed the curve but to no avail. What the heck is this? I can't use my PC if the mobo reads wrong CPU temps.

You can see how the temp from the mobo is way off. Quick IBT run: CPU tctl/tdie max 77C, mobo CPU max temp 40C. Fan 720rpm.
You might want to uninstall all...
I updated to the latest BIOS (beta) even before assembling the PC. I was in the process of testing RAM OC and had that dialed in when I realized that the CPU fan wouldn't spin up in Prime95. I got a beefy cooler but still temps reached 91C when I stopped it and the CPU fan was chilling at 800rpm (BQ Dark Rock 4). WTF? Then I realized that the CPU temp from the MOBO sensor was way off as in 40C too low under load. I changed the curve but to no avail. What the heck is this? I can't use my PC if the mobo reads wrong CPU temps.

You might want to uninstall all the processors in device manager like this:
unknown.png

Then reboot and re flash the bios, and after you boot to windows, install amd chipset driver and reboot, then go to power options, and choose amd ryzen balanced power plan.

*do this all offline until you rebooted after installing amd chipset driver, so download the driver first and do the thing.

Solution

Lutfij

Titan
Thumb rule, is to never flash your BIOS using a Beta version unless you're having issues with an officially released non Beta BIOS version and the next step up is a Beta version. On that note. I'd disconnect from the wall and display, press and hold down power button, then remove the CMOS battery for 30 seconds. Replace the battery, reconnect to the wall and display and then try and reflash the BIOS with 7C84v17 if the issue with your CPU temps/fan rpm doesn't go away while on the Beta + the clear CMOS trick.

What OS version are you currently on for Windows 10?

h3r3t1k

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2012
Thumb rule, is to never flash your BIOS using a Beta version unless you're having issues with an officially released non Beta BIOS version and the next step up is a Beta version. On that note. I'd disconnect from the wall and display, press and hold down power button, then remove the CMOS battery for 30 seconds. Replace the battery, reconnect to the wall and display and then try and reflash the BIOS with 7C84v17 if the issue with your CPU temps/fan rpm doesn't go away while on the Beta + the clear CMOS trick.

What OS version are you currently on for Windows 10?

Win 10 x64 up to date.

So where's the problem? That's what I don't get. I installed the correct chipset and GPU drivers. That's all I installed for drivers. It's gotta be BIOS then I guess?

EDIT: Culprit was unstable IF clock. Reset BIOS, temps read correctly between APU and mobo. Reduced RAM OC from 4000 to 3800 MHz and FCLK from 2000 to 1900 MHz. Temps still read correctly by mobo. What was weird is that Karhu said RAM was stable but I guess it cannot pick up an unstable IF clock.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS