[SOLVED] MSI X570 Pro Carbon or Gaming Edge?

Countess_C

Reputable
Aug 24, 2019
How important is the CPU Power Delivery for a 3700X? I don't know much about these things, but I do know that I'm not going to overclock. The motherboards I'm looking at are the MSI X570 Pro Carbon and the Gaming Edge. I will not use the M.2 slots or any PCIe 4.0 devices, it that makes any difference. Would it make a difference if I chose the 3900X CPU instead?

Controller:
Pro Carbon: IR35201 (5+1)
Gaming Edge: Same but (4+2)

H-Side & L-Side:
Pro Carbon: QA3111N6N (10)
Gaming Edge: S4C029N (8) & (8)

Chokes:
Pro Carbon: 10
Gaming Edge: 8

Doubler:
Pro Carbon: IR3598 (5)
Gaming Edge: Same but (4)

Does the Ethernet Controller make any difference?

Pro Carbon: Intel I211-AT
Gaming Edge: Realtek 8111H

Solution
I wouldn't go for MSI boards with the X570 chipset. their lineup is a bit weird imho.

the Gaming Edge has a weaker power delivery. for a 3700X it will easily suffice.
then again, there's no reason to buy the Pro Carbon since the Aorus Pro is the same price but better
and the Asus TUF / Aorus Elite are usually the same price as the Gaming Edge but better

for the 3900X I'd look into midrange boards (Aorus Pro, Asus x570-Pro, Strix-F, AsRock Taichi)
I wouldn't go for MSI boards with the X570 chipset. their lineup is a bit weird imho.

the Gaming Edge has a weaker power delivery. for a 3700X it will easily suffice.
then again, there's no reason to buy the Pro Carbon since the Aorus Pro is the same price but better
and the Asus TUF / Aorus Elite are usually the same price as the Gaming Edge but better

for the 3900X I'd look into midrange boards (Aorus Pro, Asus x570-Pro, Strix-F, AsRock Taichi)

Reactions: Countess_C
Solution

Countess_C

Reputable
Aug 24, 2019

Thanks! Hm, yeah, I see now that both the Gigabyte Aorus Elite and Pro have better specs than the MSI's for about the same price. I think I'll probably go with one of those instead.

I wonder if it's wasy to remove the chipset heatsink and fan on the Gigabyte boards? :unsure: I'm worried that the tiny fan will annoy me, and it would be great if I could use a good passive heatsink instead (and maybe let a 120 mm fan blow on it).

I got an Aorus Pro. on Silent you can't hear the Chipset fan (and I got a very silent build, the only thing I really hear are my HDDs). It's only becoming a problem at >4000rpm which you shouldn't reach ever.

problem with the chipset fan is, the location interferes with any decent GPU.

Countess_C

Reputable
Aug 24, 2019
I got an Aorus Pro. on Silent you can't hear the Chipset fan (and I got a very silent build, the only thing I really hear are my HDDs). It's only becoming a problem at >4000rpm which you shouldn't reach ever.

A little update about this: I bought the Gigabyte Aorus Edge. The chipset fan spun at high speed and was annoying, but after a BIOS update it got quiet. The old BIOS also reset almost every time and it wouldn't accept the Flare-X 3200 RAM at full speed. That seems to have been fixed too by the BIOS update.

Just thought that people should know, in case they have the same problems. :) And thanks again, Isokolon for your tips!

TRENDING THREADS