[SOLVED] MSI X570/Ryzen 2700x/Ram issue

Feb 13, 2020
I recently built a new rig with the X570 gaming plus, ryzen 2700x 8 core and 32 gigs of Gskilll Ballistics 3200mhz ddr4. I cant get the ram to run faster than 2133mhz.

I've tried swapping sticks in the slots with no luck. If I try to turn on xmp to level 1 or 2 it won't post. Last time i had to reset the cmos to get back into the bios. I'm running MSIs latest stable bios. Latency is 16-18-18-38 on the ram.

Ideas? I'm thinking it's bad ram.

Solution
Thanks. I'm calling newegg tomorrow and getting an RMA.
I feel like there was some miss communication, or you maybe don't understand how to manually change the memory speed in the bios. You never determined whether the ram will run at AMDs officially supported memory speed for your Ryzen 7 2700X, which is 2933. It's very easy to change the memory speed in bios and should only require changing the speed to 2933 and voltage to 1.35 in the overclocking (usually called OC) menu. You may have to change a setting to allow manual overclocking and since you have an MSI motherboard there should also be a Memory Try It option to select different pre-selected speeds and timings. You should be able to select 2933 or 3000 at 16-18-18-38 in...
RAM could default to the fastest JEDEC standard speeds (DDR4-2133). To allows the system to boot in most motherboards.
Go into the BIOS and enable XMP Profile to allow the system to utilize the memory kit's performance values. If the hardware is capable, enabling XMP alone should work.
Sometimes there are more than one XMP profile available.

If not, further tweaking may be necessary, like entering timings and voltage manually.
Timing 16-18-18-38
CAS Latency 16
Voltage 1.35V

Reactions: Machineto0l

BruinsFTW

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2012
I have the same mobo, 3600x and trident z neo 16gb cl18 3600mhz and have the same issue...I just can't get it past 2133mhz..

If I turn A-XMP on, itll boot and load...but then it stutters and such after a bit..eventually will crash..

I have no idea what to do at this point. I tried setting things myself with same issues.

By the way, 2nd gen Ryzen max supported frequency is 2933MHz.
It might support higher speeds (if BIOS & RAM permits it), but above 3200MHz there will be no difference in performance. Is better to run lower speeds with low latency than higher speeds with high latency.

RAM higher than 3200MHz is gear to 3rd gen Ryzen CPUs, which could take advantage of the higher speed.

Feb 13, 2020
Sounds like I'll just have to live with it. I was a little leery going with an MSI board, and maybe that is the problem.

I did run memtest yesterday and upon checking on its progress I found the pc had locked up. Had to reboot, and couldn't see the display, so i have no idea the results. Going to try it again when i can babysit it and see if its a ram problem.

Sounds like I'll just have to live with it. I was a little leery going with an MSI board, and maybe that is the problem.

I did run memtest yesterday and upon checking on its progress I found the pc had locked up. Had to reboot, and couldn't see the display, so i have no idea the results. Going to try it again when i can babysit it and see if its a ram problem.
Was it memtest86 and did you test it at 2133, 2933 or 3200? To get your 2x16GB to work, you might have to try manually lowering the speed to 2666-2800MT/s at 1.25-1.3volts. If those speeds work with automatic timings, you could try lowering the timings to 14-14-14-34 or 14-16-16-36 and run memtest86 to find errors.

Ryzen 2000 almost never runs at higher than 2933/3000MT/s with dual rank configurations (4x8GB for example), especially two module dual rank kits (2x16GB.) Some people have gotten 3200MT/s to work with 4x8GB using Samsung B-die. I believe the most successful were using 4x4GB, but I have no idea what what memory chip dies were on the modules. The highest memory speeds you can realistically get stable with Ryzen 2000 are 3200-3466MT/s with 2x4GB or 2x8GB.

If you return the kit for exchange or refund, I would suggest sticking to 2x8GB if you don't need 32GB of ram. People say not to mix kits because they are not guaranteed to work as advertised, but if you need 32GB in the future, make sure to buy the same exact kit if possible.

Feb 13, 2020
Was it memtest86 and did you test it at 2133, 2933 or 3200? To get your 2x16GB to work, you might have to try manually lowering the speed to 2666-2800MT/s at 1.25-1.3volts. If those speeds work with automatic timings, you could try lowering the timings to 14-14-14-34 or 14-16-16-36 and run memtest86 to find errors.

Ryzen 2000 almost never runs at higher than 2933/3000MT/s with dual rank configurations (4x8GB for example), especially two module dual rank kits (2x16GB.) Some people have gotten 3200MT/s to work with 4x8GB using Samsung B-die. I believe the most successful were using 4x4GB, but I have no idea what what memory chip dies were on the modules. The highest memory speeds you can realistically get stable with Ryzen 2000 are 3200-3466MT/s with 2x4GB or 2x8GB.

If you return the kit for exchange or refund, I would suggest sticking to 2x8GB if you don't need 32GB of ram. People say not to mix kits because they are not guaranteed to work as advertised, but if you need 32GB in the future, make sure to buy the same exact kit if possible.

It was memtest86. I'm running 2x16 and they are matching sets. I haven't touched any timing. Not sure if I even need 32gigs, but since I was building new I opted for it. It's a gaming pc.. and I know a faster GPU would do more than system ram.

It was memtest86. I'm running 2x16 and they are matching sets. I haven't touched any timing. Not sure if I even need 32gigs, but since I was building new I opted for it. It's a gaming pc.. and I know a faster GPU would do more than system ram.
Have you tried manually lowering the speed to 2933/300 yet with the same timings and 1.35v? Without using DRAM Calculator, trying to run 3200Mhz with 2x16GB will likely always fail since you would need to loosen the timings first. You should at least first make sure that the modules work at a lower speed before deciding they are faulty and get it replaced or exchange for a different kit.

Bios states it's running at 1.20v. 2133mhz on the ram.
That's the SPD setting of the RAM, it allows the system to boot, so you can get into the BIOS and set timings and voltages according to the specs of the RAM.
16-18-18-38 1.35V
Rated XMP 3200MHz frequency & stability depends on Motherboard & CPU capability.
According to G.Skill website the RAM is compatible with your motherboard, so if it doesn't work when manually entering settings, then you should return it.

Last edited:
Thanks. I'm calling newegg tomorrow and getting an RMA.
I feel like there was some miss communication, or you maybe don't understand how to manually change the memory speed in the bios. You never determined whether the ram will run at AMDs officially supported memory speed for your Ryzen 7 2700X, which is 2933. It's very easy to change the memory speed in bios and should only require changing the speed to 2933 and voltage to 1.35 in the overclocking (usually called OC) menu. You may have to change a setting to allow manual overclocking and since you have an MSI motherboard there should also be a Memory Try It option to select different pre-selected speeds and timings. You should be able to select 2933 or 3000 at 16-18-18-38 in that Try It menu and it should automatically set voltage as well.

Even if you get a replacement kit of the same modules, you still won't be able to run 3200MT/s with a 2x16GB kit, so you should only return the kit you have for a 2x8GB if you actually want that. You very likely won't notice a difference between 2933/3000 and 3200.

Solution
Feb 13, 2020
I admit it's somewhat confusing to me. I'm willing to try it, but the last time I used xmp and pushed the speed up, I had to reset the cmos to get into the bios.

I'll try it tomorrow again though and see if I can set both sticks to 1.35v and 2933. Like I said from the beginning though, one stick runs at one speed, the other at a lower speed.

I admit it's somewhat confusing to me. I'm willing to try it, but the last time I used xmp and pushed the speed up, I had to reset the cmos to get into the bios.

I'll try it tomorrow again though and see if I can set both sticks to 1.35v and 2933. Like I said from the beginning though, one stick runs at one speed, the other at a lower speed.
Make sure you are placing the ram in the correct slots if you are having issues booting with both installed. It should be A2 and B2 slots. If you can only boot one module at a time and they both work, it's more likely a problem with your CPU, something like having bent or broken pins and you may need a replacement.

|CPU Socket| |A1|A2|B1|B2|