Question MSI X570 Tomahawk works, but all fans spin at full speed & the CPU Debug LED lights up after shutdown ?

Mar 17, 2023
Hello there,

I have a X570 Tomahawk motherboard and a Ryzen 9 3900 (non-X). I can boot it normally. I can do all my work and play games without any problems. When I shut it down normally (or with a long press of the power button), it shuts down Windows. But a second after shutdown, all fans go crazy and the CPU Debug LED turns on. It goes like that until I unplug it. Then I could turn on my pc normally.

I'm trying to figure out if my CPU or motherboard is faulty. Could anyone help me?

Do you think the motherboard is repairable?

Full story:
Yesterday I was trying a GPU for a friend. I shut down the computer, unplugged it, and opened the case. While I was trying to connect the new GPU, the lights turned on for a second and then turned off. I was scared and put everything back together. My PC wasn't turning on. So I tried it with my old PSU and old GPU, without RAM. Cleaned the BIOS. Nothing worked until I removed the CPU. After I reseated my CPU, it started working. But as I told you, I can't shut down my PC right now. I tried reseating the CPU a few times (to remove possible thermal paste or dust from the slot), and cleaned it with alcohol. Nothing worked. I suspect something is fried on the motherboard. But I also think that the CPU might be the problem too. I have enough skills to replace a cap or IC if thats the problem, but I'm having hard time finding faulty component. What can cause this issue?

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2023
Apparently, the NUVOTON NCT6797 chip on the motherboard was faulty. I want to replace it; there are sellers online (A**express), but I'm unsure if it needs a firmware from MSI. Are they drop-in replacements, or do I need to flash the firmware before replacing it? Has anyone tried something similar before?