Question MSI X570 Unify with Ryzen 5 3600(for now) Ideal Memory?

UberOriginal

Honorable
Aug 6, 2016
Patriot Viper Steel Series DDR4 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3733MHz is what I have now. It was 90$ but the timings are slow, and I'm uncomfortable with the fact that they run at 63c when playing a 7-year-old game, I've never had any memory temperatures that high. Both XMP profiles appear to be identical, memtest86 was the same with both profiles. The timings are really slow though. I have had a lot of luck with G.Skill Trident Z in the past, and I happened to be browsing through the AMD list of Ryzen compatible memory(https://www.amd.com/en/products/ryzen-compatible-memory/ready-for-3rd-gen-amd-ryzen) And I saw F4-3800C14D-16GTZN. I am under the impression(could quite possibly be totally wrong) that 3733Mhz is ideal for Ryzen 3rd gen CPUs. That sounds like a blanket statement, but most of what I read said that 3600Mhz is the best as far as a price point to performance standpoint. This 3733 was so cheap, I didn't care. But the F4-3800C14D-16GTZN has much better timings, and it's only 190$ right now and I have no problem with that. It is a 3600Mhz Processor, will I be missing out on some 1 to 1 compatibility with doing 3600Mhz Ram on a 3600Mhz processor? Would I be better off getting F4-3600C14D-16GTZNB for 15$ less? My last consideration is, I am planning on jumping on a 4th gen Ryzen 9 4900x or equivalent, I have absolutely no concept of what ram ideals might be for a processor like that, but would it be a good idea to get the 3800 and maybe underclock it for now so I have a hair more speed when I do get the 4th gen Ryzen. Please feel free to correct me on any misconceptions I have, I do not want to give bad information, but I hope this gets me some answers and hopefully helps someone else! Thank you for your time and experience.

P.S. If anyone knows of any ram that would be better than any I mentioned please let me know, I would love to get something that is not RGB, a black or dark color would be ideal. If I get RGB just going to turn the lighting off. Not opposed to going 2x16GB, not sure if there is any reason to, I just would rather not spend 300$ on ram unless it's something spectacular.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Jpnjdm

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 280 72.8 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 UNIFY ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Patriot Viper Steel 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3733 CL17 Memory
Storage: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 5700 8 GB MECH OC Video Card
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P300A Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Rosewill 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Monitor: Asus VG279Q 27.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor
Keyboard: Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED) Wireless Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech G600 MMO Gaming Mouse Wired Laser Mouse
Speakers: Bose Cinemate 15 home theater speaker system

Lutfij

Titan
I would ask you to wait until you'r onboard the Ryzen 4000 platform before you gun for a ram kit. In fact, you might want to stick to what you have right now and maybe see if tightening the timings will help you or perhaps drop the clocks to 3600MHz and then tighten the timings. If the temps are high, per your findings, aim a fan at the sticks or my assumption is that the airflow in your chassis is sub par or that the fans are set to a custom fan curve for low air movement inside the chassis.

UberOriginal

Honorable
Aug 6, 2016
Well as you can see I have a Phanteks Eclipse P300A Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case, with the 280MM Arctic Liquid Freezer II as my intake, and I have a 140mm Fractal Design Venturi HF-14 Black Case Fan as the top exhaust, and an ARCTIC BioniX F120- 120 mm as the rear exhaust. I would not think that airflow is a problem. I'm not really into overclocking anything, I usually buy the best components I have and want them to last as long as possible but still at their potential. If I go from 3733Mhz at 17-21-21-41 do I try to go down 2 across the board? Do you have any resources with tables or guides? Thanks.

UberOriginal

Honorable
Aug 6, 2016
I think all of my fan settings are good, but I would really appreciate it if anyone has a good guide to fan tuning. I don't care about noise, I want my system to stay cool and last as long as possible.

TRENDING THREADS