Question MSI X58 CPU Voltages

Oct 14, 2019
Hello!

I just recently put together a rather old but still functioning desktop for 1366 Socket with motherboard of MSI X58 Pro-E and Intel Xeon E5620 2,40Ghz.
From the Google and Youtube I found a lot of info that this CPU is capable to "good" overclocking and I really would like to do that, but issue is I cannot control the CPU voltages in this motherboards Bios.
Everything else is controllable, except the voltages, which are set to "Auto" and greyed out. Is there some option to check/uncheck to control them or what is this?
Mobo has the latest bios 8.F version. I tried to do some research from Google, but no success. Although I see a lot of articles where people overclock this exact CPU with this motherboard and have voltages open to control.

All help is much appreciated, thanks!

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
At least with my i7-950 I never really needed to add that much voltage. Always ran into issues keeping the memory happy with a high BCLK.

For you I suspect the latest BIOS might be the wrong choice. If you can find and flash older BIOS onto there, that might be what people were using. Either that, or you have another setting forcing those to be greyed out. I know on some boards you have to enable XMP to get some CPU features available.

Oct 14, 2019
At least with my i7-950 I never really needed to add that much voltage. Always ran into issues keeping the memory happy with a high BCLK.

For you I suspect the latest BIOS might be the wrong choice. If you can find and flash older BIOS onto there, that might be what people were using. Either that, or you have another setting forcing those to be greyed out. I know on some boards you have to enable XMP to get some CPU features available.

Okay thank you. The Bios I downloaded was from the boards official MSI site so I didn't have any expectations it could cause some "locking" issues, dunno if thats the problem but Im not very much up to downgrading just to give a try.

And yeah I noticed that voltage increase isn't maybe necessary, but when I add even like 200mhz to core clock, Windows boot will stuck in main logo before login. Soo, dunno if voltage would help since settings aren't matching the same other people were using.

I go check that XMP option too.