Question MSI X58M SLI suddenly not working!

Apr 16, 2020
Hello all, I recently put together a low-cost system around a i7 960 and the motherboard in the title. What happened is that I powered on the system, but nothing happened. This build has been working for a few weeks. More specifically, when I press the power button, the fans spin for a fraction of a second and stop. What it ends up looking like is the fans moved a little bit. No POST. I have not even entered the BIOS, let alone overclocked yet. I have also checked the "before you post" list and used it thouroughly, but to no avail. Here are my full specs:
i7 960
MSI X58M SLI
6x4 gb Adata DDR3 (1066)
GTX 980
EVGA 650BQ
Hyper 212 Black Edition

try a different power supply

use minimum config to get the motherboard posted eventually

only one RAM (in DIMM_A0)
no drives, CPU with cooler, PSU, GPU, motherboard

replace the CMOS battery

power cables are connected tightly? EPS 8pin to the motherboard and PCIe power is connected as well?

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2020
I've been running like that, sans a GTX 1050 I put in for testing purposes. So now I'm running the board, an EVGA 650BQ, the i7, and a single stick of RAM in channel AO. I've tried clearing the CMOS multiple times, rotating through all the RAM, double checked the connections, disconnected the SSD, and stuck in a GTX 1050 instead of the 980 for now. Everything is still the same.