Question MSI X670-P WIFI locks up in BIOS after 1 setting save ?

awbt92

Honorable
Dec 2, 2017
So this is probably the weirdest tech issue I've ever had and the only time I've ever actually needed to CMOS reset

I have just built a new system with the motherboard in the title along with other parts 7900x, MSI 3080 SUPRIM X, 32GB of 6000Mhz RAM and a corsair rm1000x

Long story short, if I change the bios settings such as fan speed or the TDP settings it works the first time

Second time I try to do that it will lock up when i press save and exit and I have to reset the CMOS to be allowed another go at trying out other settings

I have no idea why a motherboard would do this, I installed the latest bios, it all works fine and boots into windows I've done stress tests to ensure the settings are stable etc and I'm just stumped at why I get 1 shot and then it just locks up if I try again

Any ideas? I'm dreading having to send it back because that's basically a full rebuild with a replacement

Lutfij

Titan
32GB of 6000Mhz
Got a link to the ram you're working with? Which slots are the rams populating on the board? Not all platforms have been able to hit that mark without some sort of mishap, anomaly happening. Asus managed to clamp that down with subsequent BIOS updates.

For the sake of relevance, what BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? IMHO, you should've gone with a higher pedigree motherboard, from a different brand as well. MSI have been lackluster for a couple of generations(outside of their other horrible products).

awbt92

Honorable
Dec 2, 2017
So this is probably the weirdest tech issue I've ever had and the only time I've ever actually needed to CMOS reset

I have just built a new system with the motherboard in the title along with other parts 7900x, MSI 3080 SUPRIM X, 32GB of 6000Mhz RAM and a corsair rm1000x

Long story short, if I change the bios settings such as fan speed or the TDP settings it works the first time

Second time I try to do that it will lock up when i press save and exit and I have to reset the CMOS to be allowed another go at trying out other settings

I have no idea why a motherboard would do this, I installed the latest bios, it all works fine and boots into windows I've done stress tests to ensure the settings are stable etc and I'm just stumped at why I get 1 shot and then it just locks up if I try again

Any ideas? I'm dreading having to send it back because that's basically a full rebuild with a replacement

https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/Categories/Products/Memory/VENGEANCE-RGB-DDR5-—-Black/p/CMH32GX5M2D6000C36

I tried it in the 2nd slot only 1 stick and also tried it with 2 slots so 2 and 4 with bios version 7D67v14 (i have run a prime95 large fft test for 2 hours seemed fine just to get a quick ram check)

Ironically the first time I bought MSI just saw good reviews and specs looked alright so thought I'd give it a go

Every time I do a build there's always some weird small issue, last time i was really loud PSU coil whine I could hear it from the other side of the room :(

awbt92

Honorable
Dec 2, 2017
Also just as an update and another weird thing I notice, I can actually change the fan curves and save those, but not anything to do with CPU settings etc 😂