[SOLVED] msi x99 gaming 7 suddenly crash shows Error A2 code

Jan 30, 2021
Hi there! I turned my older desktop on to transfer some data onto a external hard drive because I'm building another pc. I realized I had the ethernet cable unplugged, so I got down and plugged in the ethernet. To what I can view to only be a coincidence, not a few seconds after plugging in the cable, my computer turned off and restarted itself a few times before I forced it to stay shut off.

When I turn the computer on now, it turns on, fans, lights, cooler, usb power, but does not show any display on the screen. It also is doing weird usb power, meaning my peripherals turn on and off at first, usually ending with just my keyboard lighting up and not my mouse. The motherboard shows the error code A2.
Weirder so, when I shut my computer down to mess with it, my peripherals still are lit up, keyboard and such. I have to flip the power switch on my PSU to get them to turn off, which is not normal for this computer.

In some of my research I have seen that A2 is generally a driver issue. I have played with my ram, switching slots and also only using 1 stick at a time. I have also unplugged my drives one at a time and tried to start the computer. When I unplug one of the drives, or mess with usb plugs in the back panel, sometimes the computer passes through the A2 and starts flashing 34, 35, 36, 35, 36, and so on, forever, but still nothing displays on the screen.

Things I Have tried between boot attempts

Changing ram around
Unplugging all peripherals
Unplugging drives one at a time
Clearing Cmos

The most progress I have gotten is getting the codes to not be stuck at a2 when I mess with either peripherals or drives, but nevertheless, nothing displays on the screen.
Any tips/recommendations welcome! Thanks

Solution
Hi thanks so much for your suggestion. Weird update, I did what you asked and only used one drive at a time, but now im not getting the a2 error, but the pc's symptoms are still the exact same. MOBO flashes 34-36. I ended up unplugging every single SSD and booted but it still did not reach bios.. I wonder if its just a MOBO problem at this point. In my fiddeling around I ended up getting another stuck code. 29
29 is still memory related
did u try reseating ram sticks?
or try 1 ram stick
u can also check CPU if it doesnt have bent pins (if its intel than check mobo pins)
hi, A2 code is drive (SATA SSD/HDD), one of them fails to initialize
so, unplug all your drives, keep connecting one by one until it gets stuck in A2, drive that causes A2 is dead (or half dead)

34-36 codes are CPU related, but usualy its due to RAM errors
try single ram stick in A2 slot (memory slot)

Jan 30, 2021
hi, A2 code is drive (SATA SSD/HDD), one of them fails to initialize
so, unplug all your drives, keep connecting one by one until it gets stuck in A2, drive that causes A2 is dead (or half dead)

34-36 codes are CPU related, but usualy its due to RAM errors
try single ram stick in A2 slot (memory slot)
Hi thanks so much for your suggestion. Weird update, I did what you asked and only used one drive at a time, but now im not getting the a2 error, but the pc's symptoms are still the exact same. MOBO flashes 34-36. I ended up unplugging every single SSD and booted but it still did not reach bios.. I wonder if its just a MOBO problem at this point. In my fiddeling around I ended up getting another stuck code. 29

29 is still memory related
did u try reseating ram sticks?
or try 1 ram stick
u can also check CPU if it doesnt have bent pins (if its intel than check mobo pins)

Solution