MSI X99 Pro Carbon Motherboard Sports Front Panel USB 3.1 Type-C Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

hatib

Reputable
Jun 21, 2015
can guys someone clarify me that why the heck is there a sata express connection even though we don't have any drives which sata express

Quixit

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
can guys someone clarify me that why the heck is there a sata express connection even though we don't have any drives which sata express

Motherboard manufacturer's haven't given up on the stillborn, idiotic, standard yet.

FlayerSlayer

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
"There are also four USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-A ports, one USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-C port, one USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-A port and one USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type C port on the back of the motherboard."

That's incorrect. There are not two separate Type-C ports on back. The listing for "one USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-C port" should be removed.

four USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-A ports,
one USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-C port, <------ false
one USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-A port,
one USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type C port
on the back of the motherboard.

voodoochicken

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009

Motherboard manufacturer's haven't given up on the stillborn, idiotic, standard yet.

Essentially it's already bought and paid for. It's like half a port extra on top of the existing SATA ports. However, I am concerned about the lack of useful USB-C products announced, let alone actually being released.

Valantar

Honorable
Nov 21, 2014
"DDR4 Steel Armor." Wow. That made me laugh. I guess this is due to the absolutely huge amount of motherboards failing due to excessively heavy RAM sticks... *rolls eyes*

Seriously, though. I get "gaming" gimmicks, overclocking gimmicks, even visual gimmicks like RGB lighting. But steel reinforced RAM slots? I guess the on board capacitors will get the "steel reinforced" treatment next, given that actual risk of failure due to mechanical stress apparently isn't a factor in this at all.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014
USB 3.1 gen 1 type A, type C USB 3.1 gen 2 type A, type C... omg just stick with one freaking standard already......

Just a transition time in the industry, my friend. In time, you'll see Type-A ports disappear...

Although the variation in *what* can go over Type-C is...super confusing.

tiagoluz8

Reputable
Jul 21, 2015
The board actually looks quite good until the LEDs are turned on...
I guess is a good thing we can turn them off. That is the upside of this RGB madness, no more stupid red, blue, gold, whatever color motherboards, all neutral colors.

Mats Svensson

Honorable
Jun 19, 2013
Why do all these boards only have ONE lousy USB-C port ??

Its the USB1-> USB2-> USB3 thing all over again.

Who wants X of the latest, plus Y of the old, plus Z of the even older, plus 1 of the even even older, all the way back?

At least we don't have boards with dedicated USB1 ports anymore, so... thanks?

Just give me 10 USB-C ports, and throw in a baggie with cheap adapters in the box of the first generations or so.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

Shh, sh, it's ok, it's ok...calm down. :p But seriously, I think the point you're making is essentially that OEMs are guessing at what type and how many ports people want. This is nothing new. Motherboard rear I/O is always a smattering of guesswork. But I think now that there are two types of USB that are both widely used, the problem has become a little more obviously clunky.

That's why, in part, I'm genuinely intrigued by the idea of more modularity on motherboards. I would take your suggestion of having 10 USB Type-C ports and a pile of adapters further: Just order up your preferred I/O configuration when you buy the motherboard. And/or order your preferred I/O modules and customize the thing after purchase.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/msi-modular-motherboard,31532.html

tiagoluz8

Reputable
Jul 21, 2015

Or, we could go old ways and switch all that I/O with PCI-E x1 slots, so it's easier to change stuff.

epobirs

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011

Motherboard makers ordered a crap ton of the connectors when they thought SATA Express was going to turn into something real, before the entire SSD industry chickened out in the face of M.2.

The one use I've found for Sata Express to date is to use it with the Asrock front panel adapter to add (more) USB 3.1 ports to a system. But that would be absurd overkill with this particular board.

Two simple words: bandwidth and money.

First, read Intel's specifications on the X99 chipset. Next, if you haven't already, go read that USB primer article mentioned. You may learn something. Specifically, you may learn what controllers X99 offers and all the different standards and ways USB 3.1 can be used.

Done reading? Good. Let's continue.

First, the easy part, is to see that X99 only lists six USB 3.0 ports in its specs. So, in order for you to get your 10 ports, you'd have to use additional USB controllers on the mboard. Every new controller added requires more money in making the board.

Second, that's only USB 3.0, which is 5 Gbps max. That's not 3.1 Gen 2 of 10 Gbps. So that means not only do you need more USB controllers, you need more expensive controllers.

Third, do you just want regular data USB, do you want power delivery USB, do you want DisplayPort over USB capabilities? Again, each of these would require driving up the price of the board more. Oh, and that's in addition to the money for throwing in a bunch of USB interface adapters.

Finally, why do you want ten 3.1 Gen2 ports? What do you need them for? The only thing that needs that much bandwidth is an external flash drive or a fast refresh high-resolution display. You're going to have ten of those running simultaneously? You'll hit a bottleneck trying to do that as the chipset itself can't handle that much data at once. Everything will be cut back so it won't matter if things are Gen 1 or Gen 2.

The fact of the matter is that the vast majority of USB devices and peripherals now and in the immediate future don't need even 3.0, let alone 3.1 Gen 2. Mice and keyboards are fine with USB 1.1 still. Printers, scanners, network adapters, all are fine at 2.0 speeds. Only external flash storage devices and possibly displays can benefit from the 10 Gbps speed of Gen 2. And despite how much some people complain about it, they don't run a bunch of those devices all at once.

MSI and other manufacturers are making very reasonable decisions on the back panels. You get a few 2.0 ports for your keyboard, mouse, and printer, a handful of 3.0/3.1 Gen 1 ports for your thumb drives and external hard drives, and two Gen 2 ports for the off chance you'll have one or two devices to use them.

Please stop acting like mboard mfrs are in collusion to hold consumers back. If anything, the recent Skylake non-K overclocking hubbub suggests the mfrs are trying to bring features to their customers, even if it risks making giant industry corporations upset.

Xajel

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2006
So where can we see a close up of that new header ? and from a technical perspective, why a Type-C header is different than Type-A header ? I thought they're identical if we only want USB 3.1 Gen. 2 speed ( without power delivery )

Status
Not open for further replies.