MSI X99S MPower Motherboard Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

dovah-chan

Honorable
Have you guys gotten a sample of the X99S SLI Plus? I'm pretty interested in it because of its matte black scheme. Also it's a nicely priced board (for 2011-3 standards) that has guaranteed support for Xeons and ECC RAM.

Maybe a throw down between it and Asus's X99-E WS for what board takes the workstation crown?

ElHarry

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
PCIe 3.0 switches are not really minor components. They may not be very exciting, but they are a pain in the as to work with.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
They're inexpensive (the ones that don't have logic) and available on cheap Z97 motherboards, so one would think that implementing them on an X99 board (rather than shutting things off) would be a priority.

drwhimsy

Reputable
Mar 29, 2015
it has been suggested in other sources that the M is subject to an extensive burn-in and that it has the pick of components vs. the S, any confirmation?

MSIGeno

Reputable
Oct 7, 2014
Hey MSI Geno here,

The X/M power series motherboards do go through a more rigorous testing phase and burn-in to ensure OC capabilities as well as stability. I am unsure if they cherry pick the best components for each of the X/M power series boards, but all of them use components that are of high quality to ensure the highest standards

KurtM

Reputable
Apr 23, 2015
I see that MSI has just released the X99A MPower with 2 USB 3.1 ports. In the block diagram in their manual (p.1-7), it shows the ASMedia ASM1142 USB 3.1 chip connected to the X99 PCH by an x1 PCIe connection. Is this correct? If so, then it will not be able to run at full USB 3.1 speed. Your Jan 21st article testing USB 3.1 on the MSI X99A Gaming 9 ACK, and the block diagram in their manual for this MB shows a PCIe x2 connection to the ASM1142 chip. Is this just a mistake in their manual for the X99A MPower, or did they take a shortcut that cripples the USB 3.1 implementation?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
In this case I'd differ to the manual and use it to criticize the feature. But you're right, I should have hardware to test USB 3.1 implementation. What hardware would you suggest?

Status
Not open for further replies.