[SOLVED] MSI X99s sli plus upgrading ram

Mar 24, 2020
Hi all, looking for some help here,
Build
i7-5820k
MSI x99s sli plus mobo
Crucial Ballistix sport 4x2 gb ram 2400mhz (trying to install corsair vengeance 16x2)
Gpu: msi 1660ti

Everything runs fine with the old 8gb of ram, recently running into the issue of needing more ram, so I bought 32 gb 2400 corsair kit, have tried installing in various slots, and reset cmos, but im currently operating on the original mobo bios.
I noticed after browsing MSI website that they have several bios updates, which mention memory capablities, is it possible that I need to update bios in order to get running correctly? Currently whenever I slot the new sticks anywhere on the board, I get fans running, but no display, no way of getting to bios. Any advice here is much appreciated as I have read many a horror story of bricked mobos after bios update.

Last edited:
Solution
I have upgraded the bios in many motherboards over the past 30 or so years and never got a bricked motherboard. Your board has 4 channel memory. Your going to want a 4 stick memory kit. I don't know if this is your problem.

Theresa N

Admirable
Dec 10, 2019
I have upgraded the bios in many motherboards over the past 30 or so years and never got a bricked motherboard. Your board has 4 channel memory. Your going to want a 4 stick memory kit. I don't know if this is your problem.

Solution