MSI Z170 Gaming M5 compatibility and debug codes.

iamthedarkwolf

Commendable
Aug 7, 2016
So here are my specs:
i5 6600k
Corsair h115i water cooler
G.Skill Trident Z 16GB (8 GBx2) DDR4 3200 PC4-25600
HyperX Savage 240GB SSD
MSI Z170 Gaming M5 Mobo
Rosewill Quark 850W 80+ platinum
DBPOWER Keyboard
UsmartTech Venus MMO mouse.
Gateway Monitor hx2001l but will have a AOC 144hz monitor Monday.

My very first question is this. the model of my RAM is thisF4-3200C14D-16GTZ. While this motherboard does have compatibility with 16GB of Gksill at 3200mhz This particular model number is not listed.
However if you got the the if you go to the site here:
http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c14d-16gtz and go to the QVL tab it shows that it is.

So does this mean that maybe initially it wasn't supported but with one of the bios updates it is?

Now the reason why I am wondering this is because I am getting the following codes on the Mobo: 19 55 4C 00 0d and it just cycles through them repeatedly. And I do not get no signal to my monitor. I have it plugged from the DVI on the mobo to the dvi on the monitor. I do not have a GPU yet. (Thinking about the MSI 1070 x or z but if I can't get the motherboard working I might go with another brand.)

These codes look like they might be RAM issues how ever if I try to boot with out the ram I get code E0.

I tried to work these issues from 6pm until 6am this morning. I was trouble shooting with a guy on Tom's Hardware all night long. HE said he thinks because of the E0 code with no ram that it might be the CPU but the CPU looks fine and none of the pins on the board look bad. Finally at 6am he said despite everything he has seen and fixed He would just recommend RMAing the cpu and Mobo so before I contact Amazon I wanted to see if anyone else is having these problems or can anyone verify that they have used this model ram in their boards? and if so what bios are you on (I can't even get to the bio on my screen due to no signal so I have no clue what bios mine shipped with.)

Or if anyone has had any of these issues and was able to fix them.

Solution

yea its possible it could be the ram. if you have any stores locally that sell DDR4 ram and you can return it i would buy a cheap set of ram just to try

I have never owned a set of RAM that was on the QVL list.

So does this mean that maybe initially it wasn't supported but with one of the bios updates it is?

If it is on the QVL it is guaranteed to work. If it's not on the QVL, it is not **guaranteed** to work but 99% of the time it will.

Did you look up any of the codes in the manual ? Once you identify what each code means, you can begin to start troubleshooting.

iamthedarkwolf

Commendable
Aug 7, 2016
The codes didn't match in the manual. Also the mobo is on skills qvl list but the RAM is not in the Mobos qvl list.

Also I contacted Amazon I am sending back the ram and they are send me som e skills that are on the list but ar 3000mhz instead of 3200mhz. SO i had to downgrade but they didn't have any of the compatible 3200 in stock except for a 32GB set and that was out of my wallets range.

I have never had Mushkin appear on any MoBo QVL list ... we've used them almost exclusively over the last 20 or so years but the problem is they are in high demand by enthusiasts and are outta stock very shortly after they arrive. On my personal build, I waited 3 months and still couldn't get any... called Mushkin and a VP took pity on me and scrounged me up a set ... about 10 days later, everybody had stock... for about a week :).

iamthedarkwolf

Commendable
Aug 7, 2016
Well a guy on the MSI forums suggest I RMA the board and CPU so amazon is sending me replacements for those too. But they didn't request me to send them back first so maybe I can test both sets out with the new ram and see if that was the issue. Try both cpus in both boards etc and try and pinpoint the problem.

I won't have the new ram un around thursday or friday so I will let you guys know what I find out. If it is resolved with the new stuff then I will also pick the best solution then.

Wish me luck.