[SOLVED] msi z170a and i7 7700

Aug 20, 2019
So I bought a MSI z170a Pro Carbon in haste, and it hasn’t yet got the BIOS version I need (my mistake!). I know I need a Skylake CPU to do the update but none of my local shops has one, and buying one just for the job is more money than I wanted to spend! Anyone got any ideas on what I could do?

Solution
You just bought the board?
Is there some reason you aren't able to return it, and get a board that does support the 7700?
If not, you're stuck. You'll have to acquire a skylake cpu from someone/somewhere in order to update the motherboard.
Aug 20, 2019
You just bought the board?
Is there some reason you aren't able to return it, and get a board that does support the 7700?
If not, you're stuck. You'll have to acquire a skylake cpu from someone/somewhere in order to update the motherboard.
It was an eBay seller with no returns. It was in great condition with the box and all of the spares so I may try and sell it on and get a 270 board instead. I’ll keep hunting for a skylake CPU for now, I really like the board and I needed SLI so the options were limited!

Aug 20, 2019
What card do you intend to SLI with a 7700?
What kind of monitor?
Power supply to drive such a combination?
I was given 2 GTX 980s that were going spare. I’ve got a couple of power supplies, a 750 watt and an 800 watt, obviously I’m using the 800 for this. I know I’m right on the edge for power consumption and bottlenecking but I’ve got the parts and I’d like to see what the build can do. Any thoughts or advice? I haven’t chosen a permanent monitor yet, I’m just using an old Samsung 22” full HD but intend to get a new one.

Aug 20, 2019
Make and model of these 2 power supplies?

SLI isn't widely supported, but when it does work, 2x 980s are around 2060/Super level performance.
When it doesn't, it drops down around a 1070/Ti.
Well, that's fine for 1080p 144hz monitor.
The 800 is a GameMaX modular, and the 750 is a Corsair CX750M. Not bad performance for parts I got for free then!