MSI Z170A Gaming M5 Motherboard Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

That's a little bit harsh, it came up what one-setting short of the record at this voltage?

AdviserKulikov

Honorable
Jan 13, 2015
Could I suggest that Tom's Hardware adds another category for motherboard testing?

Power isolation: see how much noise makes it through the audio out ports, and how much noise makes it through the USB ports if USB audio is used.

lbrown

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Maybe this is sour grapes but lately all I see are I7 CPUs in the builds/reviews. How about some I5 CPU builds/reviews? Not all of us get free CPUs to test instead we pay hard earned dollars. :)

urishima

Reputable
Sep 9, 2015
Maybe this is sour grapes but lately all I see are I7 CPUs in the builds/reviews. How about some I5 CPU builds/reviews? Not all of us get free CPUs to test instead we pay hard earned dollars. :)

I second that notion. I plan to save up quite a bit for my next Rig, but it wont have a i7 CPU. Not unless I get a substantial raise next year :p

bpbarrette

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011
This board is $150 after a rebate at Newegg and $164 with Prime shipping at Amazon. Heck of a deal if you ask me (which you didn't).

bpbarrette

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011
This board is $150 after a rebate at Newegg and $164 with Prime shipping at Amazon. Heck of a deal if you ask me (which you didn't).
I should point out that it's an MSI rebate, and I have had bad luck with them in the past.

Hmmm, this is a nice-looking board. It overclocks well enough for me (I often run stock anyway), and other features do look good. I prefer smaller systems though, so I'd like to see what they offer in mATX; I'm unlikely to ever run multiple graphics cards.

That's a little bit harsh, it came up what one-setting short of the record at this voltage?

Cons: Second-tier overclocking

That was whats Tom's said in their eval, now who wrote that eval...

ErikVinoya

Honorable
May 11, 2014
the one controller it has, the Killer e2400, is an upscale part favored by some gamers

I had to pause a bit to go to the comments with this one. I thought gamers hated the Killer NICs and that Intel's provide better gaming performance? I must be missing something here...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I guess it depends on what else you're doing. Killer has some evidence that its packet prioritization is better than third-party solutions used on Intel platforms. This advantage only occurs under certain types of multitasking, hence "some" gamers.

ah

Reputable
Oct 29, 2014
Talking of feedback promoting the removal of USB 2.0 ports, I believe these feedback serve no purpose. Currently, I'm running out USB 2 ports, the only time I've ever used a USB 3 port is when I back up my files to an external drive or when I plug in a USB 3 flash drive. As it is, most devices on the market at the moment only support USB 2 ports.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Right, the only reason to use USB 2.0 instead of USB 3.0 is to save USB 3.0 for another device. It's a good reason, which is why I recommend boards continue to have at least two USB 2.0 ports on the rear panel.

ErikVinoya

Honorable
May 11, 2014

I'm willing to bet that's the fault of the hardware manufacturer not properly adhering to the USB spec

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
This conversation can get complicated since USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 are separate data standards and use separate data pathways. A third-party USB 3.0 controller actually has two controllers (USB 2.0 and USB 3.0) built in. These aren't always friendly with legacy devices. While the Intel controller usually is legacy-friendly, a third-party hub between it and the ports can cause similar issues. You'll find that some boards have only 2 USB 3.0 ports out of 6 or 8 that are legacy-friendly, and they're usually not labeled in a way to make that determination easy.

ErikVinoya

Honorable
May 11, 2014
Oh, TIL...
I have always thought that USB 3.0 controllers are just single controllers with some sort of "legacy mode". Didn't know they have to contain separate 2.0 and 3.0 controllers.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I don't know how much these controller designers were able to simplify and combine, I just know that they're separate signals on separate wires (hence a two-in-one controller chip).

Status
Not open for further replies.