Question MSI z170a gaming pro m5 CPU Compatibility Question

ThundyUK

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
Hi all,

I'm sorry to walk in and just ask a question but I'm a bit stuck. I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to building a PC from scratch, but have had every piece out and replaced over the years so I'm sure I can do it, and I'm at the moment scavenging for bits for an entry/mid level gaming PC for my little sister.

Anyway, I managed to get a MSI Z170a Gaming Pro M5 Intel (7984-001R) for pretty cheap on ebay second hand, and I'm just going to get a CPU to fit it when something pops up. However I'm struggling to understand if the board I bought will take just Skylake or Kaby Lake as well. According to what I can find out the board does take both, but only if it's under a certain age with a certain BIOS the problem is I can't check the BIOS date.

Does anyone know if this board would take Kaby Lake in all likelihood at all? Or have any ideas how I can find out? I don't believe I can upgrade the BIOS without a CPU so I may find myself in a catch 22 situation if I go the Kaby Lake route. :)

Really appreciate the guidance, thanks.

ThundyUK

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
Aye, I did. He did update the BIOS but doesn't recall when or the version, and is now unable to check.

ah heck eh.

Thanks for the assist :)

There's some alright Skylakes though to be fair..... just limits my options a bit.

Last edited: