Question MSI Z170A krait gaming ram slot (dimm3) stop pc from booting up PC.

Dec 3, 2019
At first I used a 8GB ram from Team Dark Black ddr4 (2 x 4GB 3000) inserted into ram slot 4(dimm4) and 2 (dimm2), and I have two more extra slots which are dimm3 and 1.

Problem starts when I add another 8 GB ram from Viper ddr4 (2x4GB 3000)to those free slots. Now my PC won't turn on and there is a dram light on motherboard flashing.

Even I remove the new RAM that just bought, it still won't turn on.

Another thing is that when I insert only one 4GB ram stick (either the old one or the new one) to slot 4 ( first slot) , it can boots up. BUT if I add another old or new 4 GB ram to make dual channel, it won't turn on even though It could boots up with 2x4gb ram dual channel before.

Could anyone tell what happens and how to fix this plz.

Dec 3, 2019
You lost the mixed ram lottery.
Have you reset CMOS yet?

What's the rest of the PC's specs?
Is there any way to make it works?
I am not sure what CMOS is but i can say that I haven't reset it yet.
Could show me how to do it?

PC spec
MOBO MSI Z170A krait gaming
650 watt power
I5 6500
Ram 8gb (2x4gb)
970 Asus strix

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Is there any way to make it works?
No. This is the reason mixing memory kits isn't recommended.
Return the kit you just bought, buy a 2x 8GB kit, and try to sell the old kit to get some return on your investment, if you wish.

I am not sure what CMOS is but i can say that I haven't reset it yet.
It's on page 38 of the motherboard manual.

Reactions: Theanat
Dec 3, 2019
It still doesn't work.
I returned it back to the seller and bought a single 16 GB ram stick and run in single channel. My old RAM now can't be used cuz motherboard can not run in dual channel mod.

Anyway thanks for your help 😊..

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I see. Sorry it didn't work out for you...

I do have one last idea, if you're still up for it:
-Shut 'er down, turn off and unplug the psu
-Open the case up and remove the CMOS battery - the silver, coin size object in the mobo
-Press and hold the power button on your case for 15 seconds - this will discharge any remaining power stored in the capacitors.
-Then reinsert the battery, set everything else back up and power on the PC
-When the system is powered on, it will warn that the date and time is not set, indicating a successful reset

If the above doesn't work, I do have a couple ideas as to why this happened, though.

It was working in dual channel before, but suddenly it's not... then the other channel may have been damaged by the power supply.
If you take the motherboard out, is there any visible damage on the back where the memory channels are located?

The other idea I have is quite the stretch; running more than 2 dimms is akin to memory overclocking, and the cpu's Internal Memory Controller was over-stressed by the addition of 2 extra sticks.
This shouldn't have been an issue, which is why I said it was a stretch.

Reactions: Theanat
Dec 3, 2019
Now I found the problem. Ram slot is damage. It is at the back of the motherboard. :( But it's ok bcuz I still can use a 16GB ram in single channel.
Thanks you so much .
I appreciate it.