[SOLVED] MSI Z170a pc mate and i9 9900k compatibility?

Feb 8, 2020
My son recently purchased a new i9 9900k CPU to replace his old i5 6600k. His motherboard is a MSI Z170a pc mate. After installing the new i9 cpu the computer wont power up. The power comes on and immediately goes back out
As I understand it the Bios may need to be updated to work with the new i9. Is this possible with the Z170a motherboard?

Solution
He has a Corsair H115i pro cooler
Gtx 1060 super Graphics Card
Evga 850 G+ power supply

I assume these are decent parts for what he is doing? I built his computer but dont really know the specifics about performance. I literally used a build list from an article . I really appreciate your help with this.
Well, you've definitely got the cooling covered, and the power supply is a good choice...
If nothing else, your son will be maxing out his minimum fps in game - nothing will have changed on the graphics end, due to the GTX 1060 though.

As already posted by sizzling, you've far overpaid for that kind of performance.
If the cooler and the power supply are also recent purchases, I'd return them as well, and instead get something...
Feb 8, 2020
Can you suggest something in the MSI family. The best board for say $200 or less. My son is a gamer but not hardcore. No overclocking or Vr stuff. Mainly war games, red dead, and League of Legends.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Can you suggest something in the MSI family. The best board for say $200 or less. My son is a gamer but not hardcore. No overclocking or Vr stuff. Mainly war games, red dead, and League of Legends.
With that use case the 9900k was not the best choice. An AMD 3700x with a good quality B450 board would have most likely given him the same or very similar gaming experience at half the cost, I would need to know gpu and monitor resolution to confirm this theory. I hope he has a very high end cpu cooler to run that 9900k. There is nothing cheap about trying to run a 9900k.

Feb 8, 2020
Evga 850 G+ power supply

I assume these are decent parts for what he is doing? I built his computer but dont really know the specifics about performance. I literally used a build list from an article . I really appreciate your help with this.

1)MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
2)MSI MPG Z390 GAMING EDGE AC ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
3)MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
4)Don't even bother with the other models, they can't handle the 9900K.

That aside, do you already have a good cooler for the cpu?

Evga 850 G+ power supply

They are decent. However the 1060 is decent for 1080p gaming but is not enough to utilise the extra performance a 9900k can deliver over a 9700k or 3700X. There is nothing wrong with the 9900k, awesome cpu but it sounds like he has gone down a very expensive path that isn’t really going to help him for his usage compared to cheaper choices. If there any chance of returning the cpu it might be worth reconsidering the upgrade path. You could probably save enough to be a long way towards a gpu upgrade too.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Evga 850 G+ power supply

Well, you've definitely got the cooling covered, and the power supply is a good choice...
If nothing else, your son will be maxing out his minimum fps in game - nothing will have changed on the graphics end, due to the GTX 1060 though.

As already posted by sizzling, you've far overpaid for that kind of performance.
If the cooler and the power supply are also recent purchases, I'd return them as well, and instead get something like:
Cpu: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Cooler: Thermalright MACHO Rev.C
Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Power supply: Corsair RM650X

~BUT, if the cpu is the only recent purchase, then just the cpu, motherboard, and ram I listed will do.

Solution
Feb 8, 2020
I appreciate it but I just asked for a motherboard recommendation.

If the cooler and the power supply are also recent purchases, I'd return them as well, and instead get something like:
Cpu: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Cooler: Thermalright MACHO Rev.C
Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Power supply: Corsair RM650X

~BUT, if the cpu is the only recent purchase, then just the cpu, motherboard, and ram I listed will do.