MSI Z170A SLI Plus LGA 1151 ATX Motherboard Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uri___Pisarev

Reputable
Jan 6, 2016
Is it just me or this MOBO has too many useless connectors, m/2 or whatever they call it for old style mouse, VGA and even that audio jack thing (aside from headphones and mic).

Industry really needs to scrap these old items and free up space for new and additional items, more m.2, more USB 3.0 and C.

With a 0.1 percent above-average performance ranking and 10 percent below-average person consumption...
So, it won't go through a large family as quickly, but once it has picked the next member to devour, it chases that one down slightly more quickly?

On those OC reboots, does it keep cycling like that every time, if there's an OC set in BIOS, or just the first time that OC is to be used and thereafter it's "normal?"

I think in general MSI has surprised me. They're really trying to put those miserable 970A-G4x boards behind them.

0InVader0

Commendable
Apr 12, 2016
- Intel's gamer-friendly i219V network

AVOID THIS LIKE THE PLAGUE!!! I refunded my motherboard, because this ethernet adapter didn't work properly. I couldn't even get an IP address or when I did, I had up to 50% packet loss. I've seen plenty other people on the internet having this issue as well and so far it has no fix or workaround

I tried everything: disabling WoL and power management options, flashing/resetting bios, fresh windows install (both 7 and 10), various driver versions... I even changed the bootloader. Tried Linux as well, no luck there.

Killen GLAN might be equally bad, but at least it has fixable problems. (no drivers for win10 though)

logainofhades

Titan

Some gamers still prefer older mechanical keyboards, and PS2 mice. None of the driver issues, that USB can have either. VGA is still ok, and not sure what you are talking about, with regards to audio.

joz

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
They missed an opportunity: Blackout the rear connectors as well as darkred/black the pci-e connectors.

Couldn't the slow reboot while overclocking issue get resolved by a simple Bios update? I would think it would be addressed pretty quickly, and really not end up being a con anymore. After which, this board would be a total win for a budget friendly build.

I think two PS2 connectors is excessive. One for a keyboard of course, but who is still using a PS2 mouse? Two additional USB ports for peripherals would be more useful.

And while the Skylake iGPU can handle three output displays, Z boards are aimed at enthusiasts and power users. How many of them are using displays that are still VGA only? Three ports in a mix of HDMI and DisplayPort would better match that market, I think, maybe even a DVI. Keep the VGA on the H and B boards that are going to consumers with older displays.

tical2399

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
I think two PS2 connectors is excessive. One for a keyboard of course, but who is still using a PS2 mouse? Two additional USB ports for peripherals would be more useful.

And while the Skylake iGPU can handle three output displays, Z boards are aimed at enthusiasts and power users. How many of them are using displays that are still VGA only? Three ports in a mix of HDMI and DisplayPort would better match that market, I think, maybe even a DVI. Keep the VGA on the H and B boards that are going to consumers with older displays.

Who is still using a ps2 keyboard?????

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Still a lot of people using AT -> PS/2 adapters to run IBM Model Ms at least. I used to do this, I had a few AT keyboards that I really liked. But mechanical keyboards are back, so not a big deal anymore.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Sorry, I must have been eating when I wrote that. It would do the reboot cycle at every reboot until it successfully booted, almost as if it were applying the O/C before applying the custom voltage settings.

MSI has said it fixed the reboot with a firmware update, yes.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
This one doesn't seem like typical MSI. Its lacking in a few areas. They aren't even using a special sound and lan chip. And where are the "Military-grade" capacitors?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
This is MSI's $130 SLI board. That means it competes with $115 non-SLI boards for value. Would you expect any upgrades for that price?

Status
Not open for further replies.