MSI Z270 Gaming M5 ATX Kaby Lake Motherboard Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

A price is too high, that is how much fully equipped X99 ASrock mobo costs which in my book is better buy.

Since this review corresponds to Intel’s official launch, “Previous Averages” use the Core i7-6600K. We’ll eventually replace all of that data with 7700K results as our charts fill up.

Huh? I didn't know the 6600k morphed into an i7 from an i5, how do we pull that off at home? :D

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It will go higher still. I had to ADD a 20X CPU multiplier limit to cut the test a little shorter. Because let's face it, once you know a board will cover a 100% BCLK increase, anything more than that is superfluous.

itsmedatguy

Honorable
Aug 25, 2016
Is Kaby Lake just the overclocker's platform? I'm still running an i7-3770k that I'm super content with, but I also switched to a massive 42" 4K monitor and feel shafted that I can't stream 4K content even with a GTX 1080. Any news on Ryzen supporting 4K the same as Kaby? I don't need an upgrade for performance, seems like a waste of my $ to switch platforms just to stream Netflix at 4K...ahg. F******* DRM!!!

ah

Reputable
Oct 29, 2014
4x4.8=19.2 and 6x3.9=23.4. Well, my 6800K clocked to 3.9 results in a voltage of 1.15. Clocked to 4.2 the voltage is 1.35.

Another setting — “CPU Ratio Offset When Running AVX” — appears to be a way to cheat in overclocking charts. Operating in the reverse of “Enhanced Turbo” ratios, it reduces the CPU multiplier whenever AVX-based stress tests such as Prime95 are used. Although this allows overclockers to claim ultra-high stable frequencies, we don't consider an overclock stable until it's able to support a complete CPU load.

Fantastic idea. Basically it just follows along the line of all on Intel's power saving technologies and I'm amazed it took so long for it too be implemented. You set up your OC and it's stable at 5.0 GHz .... however, when AVX is present... voltage jumps 0.13 volts and this brings you to a place that you don't want to go. As a result:

a) You can enjoy your 5.0 Ghz OC w/o worrying about any potential degradation that might occur when / if you run an application that uses AVX.

b) When you want to run a application that uses AVX, no rebooting to load a lower BIOS profile w/ lower CPU Multiplier and voltage... it all gets done automatically.

Hope the rest of the industry follows suit... finally an innovation that is not "all about bling".

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
As great as all that sounds, we have people out there boasting that they're 100% stable at 5.0 GHz using air cooling, when really they're stable at 4.80 GHz.

I don't see the logic .

Could also claim their SUVs can't do 90 mph or get 18 mpg when in 4WD Low mode with locked rotors. Do we disregard the fact that it **can** get 18 mpg per gallon on the highway when in 2 WD cause, when it's in 4WD low, mpg slips to 15 of that it can't make turns w/o the tires chirping ? Is there no value in having a vehicle that can work **optimally** in a variety of applications and conditions ? I don't use 4WD very often but having the ability to have the vehicle adjust to conditions as when I walked out this morning to a 700 foot driveway w/ 13" of snow on it or when I'm stuck in the mud at a construction site ... it sure is a danged fine thing to be able be able to operate in different modes from the comfort of my drivers seat.

Do you require that cache multiplier be set to match CPU multiplier ? We don't seem to have an issue, at least I have never seen it voiced when folks test for stability with P95 26.6 because they don't want to damage the CPU w/ AVX. Why is it that testing for overclocking w/ locked voltage and disabling Speed Step and C states is OK, is this the way we want to recommend folks use their puters in every day life. What is the point of using P95 or AIDA 64 when a) It presents an unrealistic load, one that will never ever be seen again during the life of the PC and b) that P95 stable OC often fails in a multitasking benchmark such as RoG Real Bench ?

For me it's not about bragging rights and setting up all your BIOS solely to win OC competitions.... it's about having a tool that best fits the job it's called upon to perform, when it's asked to perform it. If the PC is stable when it's used for the purposes it was built for then, it's stable. That **is** why we have a PC in the 21st place. And yes, doesn't having it perform optimally in each of it's intended purpose sound a lot greater than being able to use it in any "mine's bigger then yours" argument ?

My 4770k **is** stable at 1.47 w/ 1.38v ... but when AVX is present, it breaks 1.5v which is a place I don't want it to be.... for those twice a year instances where I am actually using AVX, I'd gladly flip that switch. If I want to eek out the best performance out of the PC for it's intended purposes, I am forced to reboot, go into BIOS, switch profiles so that I keep the voltage under a voltage I consider safe for a machine I make a living on... this does it for me automatically.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well then, let me explain the logic in terms you can understand: IT'S A FREAKING LIE to call it 100% stable at a certain frequency when it's only stable under the heaviest loads while running at a LOWER frequency. IT WOULD BE HONEST to explain everything in a longer statement like "It's stable at 5 GHz, except when it's running AVX, then it's stable at 4.8 GHz" but that's not what's happening with these "Hah hah you can't hit 5GHz on air like I do" statements I'm seeing.

There, am I being clear now?

The complaint isn't that the technology exists, the complaint is that people are using it to lie about their overclocking accomplishments.

It's the same kind of lie I'm seeing with "5.0 GHz on AIR W/AVX", when I look and see they're running at 1.45V, knowing that their CPU is thermal throttling after 15 seconds or so. If they didn't delid the processor, there's no way they're not thermal throttling at that voltage.

What these lies do is raise the expectations of readers, before they see the review, and then have an ill feeling about the hardware because it didn't "do as well" as the other guy's hardware. These things have to be compared fairly: No Cheating.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I realize it's only a review problem, but I addressed it in a review :D

RegiLuk

Commendable
Jan 12, 2017
Also feel like the price is a bit too high, Im looking at the Asrock Z270 Extreme for my next build.

Tylerflores

Commendable
Dec 29, 2016
I have the this same mobo with the i7 7700k 16 gb 3200mhz of corsair vengeance ram with asus strix 1070. im getting a vrsm led that the memory isn't being recognized, stock clock speeds. I get no screen so I cant get into the bios. Also my q code is 00 and wont move from there. Any help would be great thanks.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
There are several things that could be wrong, you may want to open your own support thread in the forums or contact the manufacturer directly.

Tylerflores

Commendable
Dec 29, 2016
i have a few ideas in mind to check to see if the memory is the issue, ill get back tonight about what i find. Thanks

supertmantimbo

Commendable
Feb 2, 2017
Tomsshardware , Please Let's get into Non K Overclocking for the new Z270 Motherboards. We 've got great cooling now Ya know we want to Overclock the pants off of Kabylake , Skylake too !!!!!!! No Found Bios to Overclock the ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming K4 as of yet. Sucks please help ***

Status
Not open for further replies.