MSI Z270 Godlike Gaming Motherboard Emerges

Status
Not open for further replies.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
This one seems quite useful as a base station within a LAN setup. 3 LAN ports and can act as a Wi-Fi range extender. Just needs a low enough price on it.

jtd871

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
Because E-ATX is needed to give Z270 the definitive treatment.

There must be a *lot* of asian-market focus groups that love that RGB bling and the "Godlike" naming. Blech.

This reminds me of 3D TV's where every mid to high end TV was sporting 3D support. So the TV manufactures assumed everyone wanted 3D because they bought 3D TV's except later to find out virtually nobody really cared about 3D TV's because they bought the TV for the other features that come on mid to high end TV's. Now many high end TV's don't even support 3D and they cost a bit less because of it.

This is a feature battle in the motherboard space but they are fighting over the wrong features just becomes someone has the features. This one in particular will cost what say $400 and if you are in a budget all it will do is hurt gaming because you have to cut somewhere else.

theNEOone

Prominent
Apr 3, 2017
Um guys.... just turn off the LEDs if you don't like them. Not hard.

The rest of the board looks really interesting.

3 x m.2 slots
3 NIC + wifi AP == pfsense box?

dstarr3

Distinguished

So now I'm supposed to install a piece of proprietary software to turn off lights I didn't want in the first place? How about MSI just realize adults also purchase their products and don't want that garbage.

theNEOone

Prominent
Apr 3, 2017

Don't be dense. This is a motherboard for enthusiasts and tinkerers. You have plenty of options to customize, but you need to get your hands dirty. That is the beauty of PC building. If you want to keep your system clean of any "proprietary software" then just buy an ipad and call it a day.

Also, I'm nearly certain that you can disable all LEDs from the BIOS (at least my ASUS board lets you do that), so you don't have to install anything "proprietary".

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
The problem with using this as a pfsense box will be the price. I see it selling for over $300. Steam machine host may be nice. Remove 1 major hurdle in the router's hardware.

I mean, I was joking. My PC is basically a giant flashlight with its 7 led fans and 5 led strips. I do like the look of this board, and if you don't want a board with LEDs on it, just don't buy this one. Not really a difficult decision here.

BTW, adult speaking here, and I like my shiny led motherboards, so MSI can keep doing what they're doing as far as I'm concerned. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.